Hi all from Somerset

Dr W

Thanks guys

I'll definitely have a look at the binocular section as trying to decide between some Celestron 15x70s or some Helios 20x90s. Have a feeling there's some serious research going tone done.

Is there a section on tripods as I find that a confusing area I want one I can sit down with and tall enough so I can stand. I think I'll have to do some searches.

If anyone knows of any clubs or gatherings in the area please let me know. I think I've missed the one at Tyntesfield House this month.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not far from Bristol just 10 miles down A370.

That Skymount looks awesome if not a little expensive, I can see why this can quickly become an expensive hobby.

Not far from Bristol just 10 miles down A370...

We must live quite near one another - I'm at Portishead :p

Astronomy is a very cheap hobby ......... apart from all the equipment :)

Good to know there are so many people close by.

Please let me know if there is anything happening in the area (outings etc) or anyone wants to show me the ropes.

Cheers

Dr W

Theres a Star Party at Tyntesfield House tomorrow night - I've just had an e.mail from the National Trust.

It's 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm. £5 to be paid in the Car Park. It will be signposted as you come down the driveway.

These are run by Bristol Astronomical Society.

Good to know there are so many people close by.

Please let me know if there is anything happening in the area (outings etc) or anyone wants to show me the ropes.

Cheers

Dr W

Theres a Star Party at Tyntesfield House tomorrow night - I've just had an e.mail from the National Trust.

It's 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm. £5 to be paid in the Car Park. It will be signposted as you come down the driveway.

Thanks for the heads up John

I thought I'd missed this one, I'll give them a call today to get booked on it, lovely clear day today so fingers crossed it continues onto tonight.

I'll have to get home early and dig out the handwarmers, gloves, hat and flask as I feel it may be a bit chilly.

So I've decided on some Celestron 15x70s and a Vanguard Alta Pro 263at tripod and Vanguard SBH-100. Also bought a metal L bracket so reckon I'm ready to rock and roll.......... or at least stand quietly in the garden looking upwards.

Thanks John, had an enjoyable evening and saw M37, M42, Saturn and some others and best of all saw the ISS and Shuttle pass overhead just as I arrived.

Archived