Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC2903 L-Ha/R-G-B *re-edit @ post #10*

MikeD

Hi all.

I got me some clear skies on Saturday night, so took the opportunity to try to grab some colour for this shot.

As the clear nights have been far and few lately I opted for binned x2 colour data.

the image is now

54 @ 5 mins L

9 @ 20 mins Ha

15 @ 4 mins Bin x 2 Each for the RGB

I do have another 15 @ 5 mins L shot on Saturday but have not got around to a new luminance processing as yet.

The colour was a real pain to process( I am having real trouble with flats for some reason).:)

This still needs more Ha data but its getting there.:(

Mike.

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture9377-ngc2903-l-har-g-b-best.jpg

post-13376-133877538829_thumb.jpg

I went back to the Ha and RGB data for this and did a re-process.

This time I pushed the red harder before mixing it 50/50 with the Ha, which was also pushed harder.

The Ha is deeper and the dust lanes have a better colour too.

Mike.

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture9491-ngc2903-l-har-g-b-best5.jpg

post-13376-133877540794_thumb.jpg

Yes, I reckon that 2nd process was worthwhile. Doesn't look pushed at all and you've controlled the noise very nicely. the lanes show very well but still have a nice natural look.

One thought, looking at your image and capture details, you colour subs seem long given that they were binned. This can lead to over saturated and bloated stars. A lot of people blame the bloat on binning but it's usually down to over long subs. Given that the read noise of binned subs is 1/4 that of unbinned you can go really short with the subs and just grab a load more of them. This preserves a lot of star colour and can keep them a bit tighter.

Thanks guys. :(

Martin that makes a lot of sense. I am not sure why I went for 4 minutes.

I usually go for 2.5 mins when binning colour and to be honest I never usually bin the colour at all.

I did have a final go at processing this a few days ago with another 15 luminance subs added (with the stars in mind) but like you say the brighter stars are pretty much fully saturated.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/133686-ngc2903-final-image.html

Mike.

Archived