NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn...Decent Views?

tony4563

Has anyone had any decent views of Saturn these last few days? All I'm seeing is the disc and outline of the rings. No Cassini Division or markings on the surface even at low power. I've been out at around midnight last night and tonight with both scopes and gone in disappointed. I know seeing affects what you see in the eyepiece but I just wanna make sure it's not just me!

The eyepieces are the baader orthos i got from Steve they really are nice eyepieces

Coincidentally, after looking over the last three month's statistics, I have found that the Baader Genuine Orthoscopic is Auntie FLO's best selling eyepiece :D

I also noticed the stars were comet shaped, even in the centre of the FOV of my Moonfish Superview 30. To be honest, I know I didn't give enough time for the Dob to cool down because it was pretty cold and there was patchy cloud around. I used it more or less straight away. Is that what happens when thermal equalibrium isn't reached with a reflector? I'm certain the collimation was spot on as I got lovely concentric circles on out of focus stars at high mag.

Is that what happens when thermal equilibrium isn't reached with a reflector?

Not that I have noticed.

You are describing Coma, though it normally occurs towards the edge of the FOV. Is the effect equal across the field or does it tend to radiate from the centre and become worse at the edges?

It is worth remembering that there is no such thing as a perfectly figured mirror, just different levels of correction.

I can't remember Steve, to be honest. I was too busy wondering why I couldn't get perfect pinpoint stars in the centre of FOV. They were like mini comets (at least they made up for the one I missed earlier because of the weather) :D:p

If the mirror hadn't cooled then you won't be able to bring it into clear focus but that doesn't explain the comets - at least that's my experience. Let us know how things are when the mirror is cooled, it'd also be interesting to compare your wide-field eyepiece with something more flat-field, like a good Plossl or ortho'.

Will do Steve. It's not the best eyepiece for an F5 scope and I was only using it as a finder. Saturn's outline was sharp and bright thru the Vixens at lower powers.. just no detail to be seen at all.

Tony,

Several factors effect the "Seeing"

Cool down time, you want to allow at least a couple of hours cool down time for that big Dob and at least an hour for the ED100.

Collimation, Collimate that Dob every two or three times you take it out and try to collimate it when it's cool and not in a centrally heated living room. At least reagularly check it.

Atmospheric conditions. Saturn is fairly low at the moment so your looking at it through a lot of distorting atmosphere, due to the warm damp conditions at the moment the atmosphere is quite "Dirty" and polluted, so it's not a great time to be doing detailed planetary observations...

As Steve has said you could invest in a couple of quality planetary EP's.

Hope this help's

Greg

Tried again tonight with the 100ED and 10" Dob which had both been cooled around an hour. Again, nice bright globe and rings but no Cassini from both scopes. Faint markings on the planet though. Personally, I think its because I'm viewing a little early. I think the planet needs to be a little further up in the sky out of the muck. Another thing.. I'm sure I mistook the "comets" I discussed earlier as diffraction spikes in the stars. Even the small ones seem to have them. Is this how it's supposed to be or should they be absolute pinpoint?

I was out looking at Saturn last night with my C9.25 and my 8mm Xcel and had the same dissapointing view, virtually no cassini division and just a hint of banding in Saturns atmosphere.

I could though see a fair amount of detail in the Orion nebula though so that was pleasing.

Who am I to complain as it's the first time I've managed to use it in 2 months

Had a great view of M42 too here for a while. Did anyone else see the bright meteor that shot in from the east over Orion and broke up near Hyades? T'was a very quick but large flash. Happened just as the clouds started to roll in here. Really should've logged the time!!! Coud've been 2330-0000(ish).

Had a great view of M42 too here for a while. Did anyone else see the bright meteor that shot in from the east over Orion and broke up near Hyades? T'was a very quick but large flash. Happened just as the clouds started to roll in here. Really should've logged the time!!! Coud've been 2330-0000(ish).

Sorry, but i was fast asleep at that time. If the truth be known I don't think I'm really cut out for this astronomy lark I need too much sleep.

(hopefully I got the quoting coorect this time)

Think that was what i saw, was so quick.

Same here with Saturn. I did get a hint of a band on the surface but no Cassini even though the image was steady as a rock. On the plus side M42 was stunning with more nebulosity than I've seen before and the trapezium stars shining bright. :shock:

No Kain, I don't think your doing anything wrong mate. I'm sure it's down to atmospheric conditions and it's been disappointing viewing for a lot of people. The markings were there but very feint. You really had to be patient to see them. Another night , another story I'm sure.

Archived