New member - going for 8" Dob

Hello All,

I’ve been watching from the side-lines for a couple of weeks now, trying to resist the urge to buy a telescope. Like many my interest was due to the recent BBC television programmes, although have always been fascinated in astronomy just never got round to actually taking it further.

Having kept an eye on the sky the last couple of days, I was glad to see it was quite clear last night.

No sign of the moon from where I was (Swansea) however armed only my naked eye and an old pair of 7 x 35 bins and this months “What can I see in March” page from BBC Focus magazine I was able to first find orions belt, then identifying Betalgeuse and Rigel and the Orion nebula. From there across the “The Pleiades” (which looks surprisingly quite nice through my old bins) and onto Cassiopeia. I also think I found Jupiter and Mercury low in west sky but not sure on that one.

Anyway, the bug has definitely bit, so having read many posts here on starter kit I have decided to forego a goto at this point as I’m sure finding things will be as much fun as viewing them, and have settled on an 8” Dob for my first telescope . From the various post I’ve read here the one to go for is the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian from FLO. Mostly to be used from my garden, out of the city but still street lighting near by.

So just a quick thanks for all the previous posts which helped me arrive at my choice.

Cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm thinking along the same lines as you, either an 8" or 10" Skyliner. I'm waiting a bit though, so that I can be sure to be home when it arrives.

Enjoy and keep us posted:hello2:

I have the 8" dob XT Classic. It was also my first purchase worth it. But I think maybe get the 10" instead of your observing from your backyard.

It's up to you budgetwise. Neverthless 8" dob is pretty good

It's a little known fact but the Skyliner 200P Dob makes you more handsome, suave and sophisticated, than any other scope :(

Welcome to SGL :)

funny i also know that is true:D:hello2:

seriously its a great scope enjoy

I have the 8" dob XT Classic. It was also my first purchase worth it. But I think maybe get the 10" instead of your observing from your backyard.

It's up to you budgetwise. Neverthless 8" dob is pretty good

Would that be a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian (or is there a cheaper one thats any good).

I would like to have the option to take it to dark sites sometimes but will possibly struggle with transporting a 10" in my car (Jaguar XJ Saloon). In terms of image quality will a 10" be vastly better than an 8". Also didn't want to spend too much on my first scope just incase I don't stick to it. Thanks for the info though.

Something for me to think over

Cheers

Would that be a Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian (or is there a cheaper one thats any good).

I would like to have the option to take it to dark sites sometimes but will possibly struggle with transporting a 10" in my car (Jaguar XJ Saloon). In terms of image quality will a 10" be vastly better than an 8". Also didn't want to spend too much on my first scope just incase I don't stick to it. Thanks for the info though.

Cheers

I'll let someone answer that question as I am still a newbie.

As you said you don't want to spend too much on a telescope incase you don't stick to it, Thats OK, You can always sell it on buy and sell section of this forum or use astro buy and sell website. You wouldn't lose too much money.

My scope is a Skyquest but they have renamed it to Skywatcher. Maybe you should stick with 8" if your gonna transport to dark side, Also get a good decent eyepiece, You'll see things in space better.

I bought the 8" dob which for me is big enough. Regarding budgetting for the bigger 10" note that you may end up buying a few extras to go with either the 8" or 10".

Such as:

A collimator - cheshire or laser

eyepieces - and/or a barlow

Light pollution filter

Flask for hot tea

web cam & adapter

Steve

Cheers

"The best 'scope is the one you'll use the most." I was stuck in the 8/10 decision. I decided on the 8" because I'll still be able to see loads with it and it will be more managable to move etc.

An 8" at a dark site will perform considerably better than a 10" in light polluted skies.

Plus the £100 I saved can go towards eyepieces.:)

HTH

(P.S. I just ordered a Skyliner 200p about 2 minutes ago:D:D:D).

The 8" Skyliner Dob is the one I'm going to settle for I think.

Still trying to justify the spend in my head though and thinking of a place to store it :)

This is the cheapest I've seen it for those interested

Skywatcher*Skyliner 200P Telescope: Best Deals On Astronomical Telescopes, Eyepieces and Accessories - Skywatcher, Meade, William Optics, Bosma, Bresser, Celestron, Helios At Ace Cameras - Canon, Leica, Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Avian & All Top Bra

The 8" Skyliner Dob is the one I'm going to settle for I think.

Still trying to justify the spend in my head though and thinking of a place to store it :(

This is the cheapest I've seen it for those interested

Skywatcher*Skyliner 200P Telescope: Best Deals On Astronomical Telescopes, Eyepieces and Accessories - Skywatcher, Meade, William Optics, Bosma, Bresser, Celestron, Helios At Ace Cameras - Canon, Leica, Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Avian & All Top Bra

That's £15 cheaper than FLO. Given that FLO sponsor this fine forum and will probably forego the saving and (wait for it) 'go with the flo' :)

That said I did notice this post http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/58539-sgl-member-discount.html which mentioned a price match policy but the link is dead. Does anybody know more on this ?

Thought when I looked before, the discount didn't apply to skywatcher products, no clue about the price match though.

Ace cameras are only about 15 minutes from where I work so it was nice to go in the shop and talk to someone about telescopes. Makes sense for me to save on delivery too and go pick it up:-)

Still need to talk myself into it though :)

i got mine from flo.delivery was very quick and the pre and after sales brilliant,i,d rather spend 15 quid more and have piece of mind.thats not to say the other retailers are poor,i havent used them thats all.

extras you need to think about:

1)a collimating tool,cheshire or laser etc

2)a telrad or rigel finder

3)a right angle raci finder,easier on the back

4)red light torch

5)you will at some point want more ep,s

of the above extras item 1 is a must,others are more preferable but not essential

hope that helps:hello2:

Archived