Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCT for my heq5 pro?

i have a 6" sct and have looked through a freinds 8" and they work fantastic on lunar/planetary obviously the 8" been better contrast and alittle bigger in size and the 9.25 are supposed to be fantastic if you can afford one.

all will go onto a heq5 no problem.

but if it`s just lunar and plantary you are interested in then maybe a mak would be better as these are f15 scopes

I have the HEQ5pro...I use it with the SM60/ED80 for solar Ha observing.....I wouldn't fit the C9.25 to it if I was going to do any imaging....maybe for visual only... but you know in your heart of hearts that you WILL want to do as much as you can with that size scope and that will be imaging....that's when I think you'd hit the wall. Just my 2c

C9.25 on a HEQ5 will be fine for visual. Mine's on an EQ-6 which I bought for a much larger scope (10" Newt) and is extra rock solid.

Have a look at the review section to see what I think of the C9.25. If you wan't a planetary scope, there isn't much better, unless you want to pay mega money.

Thanks for the comments, Im in a dilemma, i already own an 10" meade lx90, but due to the shear weight and size with forks etc when its in its protective case it almost kills me getting it up and down three flights of stairs! Because of this it just sits in the corner of the room and i just end up using the heq5 with other smaller scopes. Iv glimpsed the aperture of the 10" scope and dont want to come down much further than a 9.25 if the heq5 can handle it. Portability is my main concern so, im thinking a lighter sct would be easier and smaller size overall (no forks) to transport up and down stairs. I have another imaging set up. Am i right in thinking the C9.25 is 9KG and weight limit for the HEQ5 is 15KG? Not sure what to do?:glasses1:

i have a heq5 pro and am looking for a 8-10" sct to put on it for visual and lunar/planetary. Any recommendations welcome, i was thinking about maybe a C9.25?

I think that combination would probably be OK for lunar/planetary imaging but no way would DSO imaging be possible.

If no wind the scope is very stable and the mount has no problem with moving the OTA.

That's it, there always is a wind at my site.

Vibrations take a long time to die down when my HEQ5 is loaded with a FLT110 - similar in size & weight to a C925 tube but with a much shorter focal length. Personally I think a HEQ5 would really struggle to handle a scope with 1000 mm focal length irrespective of the dimensions or weight of the OTA & even with autoguiding. With a good wind shelter (dome & slit observatory) and adaptive optics you might get away with it.

Thanks for the comments, Im in a dilemma, i already own an 10" meade lx90, but due to the shear weight and size with forks etc when its in its protective case it almost kills me getting it up and down three flights of stairs! Because of this it just sits in the corner of the room and i just end up using the heq5 with other smaller scopes. Iv glimpsed the aperture of the 10" scope and dont want to come down much further than a 9.25 if the heq5 can handle it. Portability is my main concern so, im thinking a lighter sct would be easier and smaller size overall (no forks) to transport up and down stairs. I have another imaging set up. Am i right in thinking the C9.25 is 9KG and weight limit for the HEQ5 is 15KG? Not sure what to do?:glasses1:

hello,

I have the 10"lx 90 and its a cracking optical tube.. i would have thought the folked mount would be more portable than the eq as you have no counterweights, if it is then why not change the heq5 for a eq6 and defolk the 10" ota. its a cracking ota

i would have thought the folked mount would be more portable than the eq as you have no counterweights

The issue here is that the fork mount & OTA are one piece - seperating them for transport is not a viable option. With an EQ the OTA is seperate & easy to remove for transport. So are the counterweights. You can easily have an assembled scope weighing 50 Kg with none of the individual parts exceeding 15 Kg; my CPC1100 on its fork mount is a single 30 Kg lump. You end up with more pieces to transport and a longer setup time but hey, the scope's got to cool off anyway ...

Exactly the 10"ota on the fork is big, bulky and heavy. A set up that breaks down into smaller components for transport and ease of carrying up/down stairs etc is easier to move than hauling one large weight (and doing your back ). I think the c9.25 will be fine on the heq5, only with finderscope/ eyepieces.

Hi Astroblagger. I have just done exactly what you were thinking. I have mounted my new C9.25 on my HEQ5 and I am going to be sick with excitement if don`t get to try it soon. (clouds :glasses1:). It will be mainly visual use. Considering I had my 10" newt tube mounted on the HEQ5 I don`t expect any problems with the C9.25. I did have to add a third weight though to get it to balance. In all, two and a bit weights should do, but that does not account for larger eyepieces and cameras. I shall be putting my watec video camera on it, but that is quite light anyway.

I used a C9.25 on an HEQ5 for visual planetary and it was very shaky when focusing. A C8 is a much better match for the HEQ5.

It is possible to put larger Newts on the HEQ5 as the focus movement requires little force, but with SCT's the whole mirror moves during focusing causing the vibration.

Archived