Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RoRo Roof Wheels/Casters

Armsoft

In the process of starting to do the ground work for my Obs (I will get some photo`s up soon of the work done so far) and need to sort out the wheels/casters for the roof.

I`m sure I`ve seen a post on here with a link to a recommended supplier, but don`t seem to be able to find it.

Can anyone recommend a supplier to use.

Thanks

Mark

I have the screwfix rubber ones and a heavy roof and the friction (the fact they flatten a bit under load) is causing me some challenges (remember I'll only 5 foot tall and not very bulky!). I had a wheel company up to take a look at ways of ensuring I don't do my back in at some point and they reckon that changing the wheels will make a huge difference. (In the longer term I'm thinking of motorising it and reduced inertia will make it much easier on the motor too.)

For me, the rolloing mechanism has been the biggest trouble, and its so much harder to put it right later, that I'd say over-spec and save the grief!

Helen

I found some castors from ebay. Stainless frames and nylon wheels without tryes. Intended for food or hospital applications. Nylon will last well in sunlight without degrading and the stainless won't rust away in 5 minutes. Worked now for 3 years or so. Finger crossed for the future. Would suggest buy one or two extras. If you break one next year, you don't have to scour the planet for an exact size replacement. A few quid 'insurance' in my opinion well spent.

I use the screwfix ones in the link above. They work well against my wooden rails, are silent and don't stick or skid.

I have six of them on my 6' x 6' observatory. My only suggestion is that you place them carefully and that you are equally careful with any roof "hold down" that you use. I found that the turnbuckles that i originally used could squash the tyres if I was not careful. It was never a problem but it may have lead to permanent tyre deformation had I not redesigned the locking mechanism.

Ok, Thanks for all the help Guys & Girls, very much appreciated.

I`ve gone with the following -

Fixed Castors 100mm Pack of 4 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Must say, they are bigger than I was expecting, and I`m sure they are big enough to do the job.

I brought 8 of them intending to use 6 on the roof and keeping 2 as spares (thanks David).

@Helen - I like the idea of motorising! I hadn`t factored that in, but certainly something to think about in the future.

Thanks once again

Mark

I brought 8 of them intending to use 6 on the roof and keeping 2 as spares

Def. a good idea, as just the slightest warp in the roof over the season would lift one corner enough twist to cause a sticky wheel.

Looking forward to seeing the pics...

Mike

Any thoughts/experience with these ones? -

Rubber Tyres Fixed 100mm Pack of 4 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Roof size is 8ft long Spanning (Apex) across 6ft

Not that it matters (I think?) but the roof is going to be rolling over the warm room roof.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I've used these exact wheels on my observatory. They run on angle iron which has the inevitable light surface rust. They've been is use no for about 1 year are bearing up well.

Martin

got mine from screwfix i used 8 on my 6x6 roof works great

Did you use the 100mm ones?

I was hoping to get away with 6 on my 8x6 roof, but by the sounds of it should I be using 8 on it?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far

Mark

Archived