Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time Saturn, first image of anything actually.

ianmwatson

Hi folks,

Saturn on 21 Dec 06 at around 0200. High cloud, seeing good. Orion Optics 8" F6 well collimated and cooled, 5x powermate and SC1 Toucam. I can't remember how many frames I took, over 1500 anyway, no filters used. Wavelets, brightened and histogram stretch.

What I learnt:

It's quite tricky to get the planet on the camera at 6000mm effective focal length, but once it's there my super polaris tracked wonderfully. I will go for 10-15FPS next time (5FPS this time). I'm investigating the use of filters for the next time, next apparition at the rate the weather's going.

post-13200-133877325597_thumb.jpg

Cheers Warthog,

There were 2 eureka moments using registax. The first was when the selected images stacked and averaged, I was shocked by how smooth it appeared. The second was after I'd finished with the wavelets, I did go too far initially and it looked a bit OTT, even this may be a bit over-processed. Anyway I'm looking forward to having another go soon. :)

Thats a cracking first attempt. You can see mines to the left! I have the same 'scope as you but only a 3X powermate Oh but I got my 'scope 2nd hand and it has stickers that say F5, but anyway the optics must be close. I need to get back out and try again, if I ever get a night without clouds!

Hi Gordon,

It's the first image I've done, but observing and trying to get the best from my scope isn't new to me. I see imaging like this; there's lots of little things to get right, as some of those things become second nature things tend to be easier. I think that makes sense

Oh, I added the same image to CN also, before christmas, so you've maybe seen it before.

Archived