Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyliner 250 Flextube Auto - Goto, How?

Veracocha

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AZ goto handset transfers directly to the 300P Flextube Auto. You can get the handset separately specifically called a "Replacement Handset". I was quoted allmost £200 when I did mine.

However, if you just switch the "auto" handset with the "goto" handset, both mounts still work and you have a mount with tracking left over to sell. It's a bit of a palava but my upgrade worked out at £125 after selling off the remaining mount/tripod. :)

(I also had to update the goto handset software to current version).

The AZ goto handset transfers directly to the 300P Flextube Auto. You can get the handset separately specifically called a "Replacement Handset". I was quoted allmost £200 when I did mine.

However, if you just switch the "auto" handset with the "goto" handset, both mounts still work and you have a mount with tracking left over to sell. It's a bit of a palava but my upgrade worked out at £125 after selling off the remaining mount/tripod. :)

(I also had to update the goto handset software to current version).

Excellent idea, thank you too.:)

I wonder if it is possible just to use a skyfi or sky wire and an iPhone/iPod touch (with an appropriate app) instead of getting the "official" controller.

Should work out a lot cheaper if you already have a smartphone or iPod/iPad.

I wonder if it is possible just to use a skyfi or sky wire and an iPhone/iPod touch (with an appropriate app) instead of getting the "official" controller.

Should work out a lot cheaper if you already have a smartphone or iPod/iPad.

Oooh, that's a nice idea, anyone tried sky wire with a flex tube auto?

Is this all too good to be true? I must be missing something.

I am thinking of getting a Skywatcher 250PX Goto Dob which FLO sell for £955.

According to what Space Cowboy says, if i buy the 250P auto version at £659 and then add either the Skywatcher Merlin Table Top Goto mount at £173 or the Skywatcher A-Z Goto Mount at £193 then all I have to do is switch the handsets, upgrade the firmware and make a saving of between £118 to £130 which I could spend on a cheap refractor and thereby get a free telescope or just keep the money saved and sell/keep the mount!!!!

Surely it can't be as simple as that? Is it difficult to switch the handsets or do they just plug in?

Just plug 'em in the same hole!

The "official" GOTO dobs are supposed to have superior encoders making them more accurate but from what I've read on here there have been quite a few teething problems with them. I'm quite happy with my auto/GOTO dob..its not hitting the bullseye with goto but its within view most of the time. If the proper GOTOs were getting rave reviews for their accuracy then I would say its worth paying more.

To the best of my knowledge the table top handset won't work with the flextube auto's. It's only the az goto handset that works - I know cos I have one.

The early 12" models had accuracy issues with the motors and encoders, I never saw any similar reports about the 10". I think it was hobsons choice if you got a good 'un or a not so good 'un.

Anyway the issues were addressed and the motors and encoders upgraded prior to the release of the new range of bigger flextubes recently. I have one of the older 12" models - purchased Nov 2009 - think I got a good 'un cos the upgrade seems to work fine.

There's a little backlash and balance issue in both alt and az which I have yet to address but with the AZ GOTO handset accuracy is near enough to know that it will be fine when both axes are smoothed out. 100% accuracy isn't neccessary with a dob so long as the object arrives in the ep - which it does when the scope is levelled. It can allways be adjust with the arrow keys or by nudging.

Hope that helps and clarifies :)

Eric - they don't all do it cos of the doubt, and cos you have to front £200 and then sell what's left if it works. Also cos it's depends on getting a good one to start with.

But even the current new ones with uprated motors/encoders seem to be reporting some problems - watch this space I guess lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought youmight like to know that Teleskop Services now sell a "Skyscan" handset specifically for the purpose of upgrading the skywatcher auto dobsonian scopes to goto. Wolfi says that they have sold a large number of these and it works perfectly. Cost is about £178 including delivery which works out about £120 cheaper than buying the goto option outright.

Skywatcher SynScan GoTo Upgrade für Autotracking Dobsons

Thought youmight like to know that Teleskop Services now sell a "Skyscan" handset specifically for the purpose of upgrading the skywatcher auto dobsonian scopes to goto. Wolfi says that they have sold a large number of these and it works perfectly. Cost is about £178 including delivery which works out about £120 cheaper than buying the goto option outright.

Skywatcher SynScan GoTo Upgrade für Autotracking Dobsons

Interesting that this is a "SKYSCAN" with 13400 objects for €199 even though the link has "SYNSCAN" in it, where the "SYNSCAN" that comes with the AZ GOTO mount is the "SYNSCAN" with 42900 objects and is only a few £ more from FLO (£193)

Skywatcher - Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount

As I need a new tripod for my Celestron refractor I will opt for the AZ mount I think and just swap the controllers over, then I have a GOTO 300P and a tracking/goto grab and go Celestron refractor :-)

Just bought the Synscan AZ mount from FLO (£198 INC delivery which is the best price I have seen it for) Will advise how the upgrade goes when it arrives :-)

I look forward to hearing how it went as I'm considering exactly the same path as you. With the price of the Skyliner 300P Flextube Auto having dropped to £955 compared to the Goto version of £1,358, this seems even more of no-brainer path to take. Hope it goes well.

I paid £939 so add £198(inc p+p) and I'm up to £1137 which is about the equivalent of saving the VAT value!! Plus I get to replace my other tripod into the bargain or save even more money by selling the tripod.

As you say, a no brainer.

I paid £939 so add £198(inc p+p) and I'm up to £1137 which is about the equivalent of saving the VAT value!! Plus I get to replace my other tripod into the bargain or save even more money by selling the tripod.

As you say, a no brainer.

Can I take it the goto handset from the £198 mount works?

Can I take it the goto handset from the £198 mount works?

Speaking from a position of it not yet arriving, I am hoping so, they all seem the same though. This one, the one on the Merlin desktop mount and the stand alone handset. Price difference is from £169 for the handset alone, £174 for the Merlin desktop mount or £193 for the "full" az mount and tripod.

Will post when I know but others have been sucessful e.g Brantuk

Yes it works - that's exactly what I did and had no problems with it. Great for observing but don't count on it for imaging anything but moon/planets (but that's mostly down to alt/az rather than the goto/tracking). :)

I look forward to hearing how it went as I'm considering exactly the same path as you. With the price of the Skyliner 300P Flextube Auto having dropped to £955 compared to the Goto version of £1,358, this seems even more of no-brainer path to take. Hope it goes well.

It went just fine!!

Mount arrived in about 72 hours :-) Well done to FLO! Though it looks like it came direct from OVL just like the scope so well done to them too.

Unpacked, handset does in deed plug straight in the same hole.

I am yet to upgrade the firmware as I have a laptop from this century which doesn't have a serial port so I will need to get the adapter, which is from about £4 to £12 depending on where you get it.

I did use the handset for direction control and have had a dummy run through the setup routine which all went fine. Nice to have easy variable speed control at the touch of a button via the handset which is much better than the speed selection on the original handset, and also lunar/solar/star tracking rates.

I will update the handset firmware, and do a proper job of set up and post how well it went. But is does appear that it really is as easy as everyone says.

One funny thing, I set up the Celestron refractior on the AZ mount and put the Hyperion ep into the focuser only to see the scope dive towards the floor, guess it will only take a very light EP without having balance issues.

Hi,

I currently have a SW 127 Mak with Goto and thinking of getting a SW 250 or 300 flextube. I don't have an observatory but do have a secure summerhouse to keep it in.

A couple of quick Qs, is the 300 flextube easy to lift about 5 yards or would I be better with the 250? I am in my 40s and reasonably fit.

What would be the difference in cool down time? I keep the 127 scope in the summerhouse so it's already near ambient temperature?

Is the base of the auto really the same as the Goto? I can accept some error in the alignment as I find the mak isn't perfect and have to use the PAE all of the time.

Sorry to be dense, but is the auto dual axis tracking?

If I really need a Goto base (and I might not) then it will have

to be the 250 as the 300 goto will be too expensive.

Regards

Robin

Archived