Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyliner 250 Flextube Auto - Goto, How?

Veracocha

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of quick Qs, is the 300 flextube easy to lift about 5 yards or would I be better with the 250? I am in my 40s and reasonably fit.

I too am in my 40's, just ;-) I can just about manage the whole thing in one go for about 5 yards. Though it is easy to split into base and OTA and then put back together again. This makes it an easier lift.

Is the base of the auto really the same as the Goto? I can accept some error in the alignment as I find the mak isn't perfect and have to use the PAE all of the time.

There is mention of upgraded encoders on the actual goto but in practice it works just fine. Though my use so far is still limited.

Sorry to be dense, but is the auto dual axis tracking?

Yes, there is a motor on the bottom of the base under the OTA and the other is on the side where the handset plugs in.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have decided on the 250mm flex tube, I gather it is only slightly smaller, but my main reason is the focal length, at 1200mm it's just slightly lower magnification than the 300mm dob.

I have also decided that my back garden isn't as dark as I first thought and that means more likely a trip out in the car. Having seen a 300mm in a shop, it just looks a little big.

I am still unsure whether to go for the auto or the Synscan, I think the latter has updated encoders which makes it more accurate but I am note sure if I need Goto, finding objects isn't that difficult once you know the constellations. I have read that the Gotos are better at tracking, but not sure that this will make much difference.

One further question, the dobs have a1.25 and 2" focuser. I assume that 2" eyepieces will give a better viewing experience, I.E. Brighter, better field of view, ETC or is this just wrong?

Regards

Robin

I fancy a low power eyepiece, say 40mm should it be 1.25 or 2"?

I think with the auto's it may be more of the luck of the draw, originally my auto's tracking was poor but a new handset fixed that (in the main). But when I use the goto controller and take the time to set up accurately it's deadly.

As for the 2" eyepieces they are no brighter but they do have a more immersive field of view. For planetary viewing I use 1.25" eyepieces for DSO's I use the 2" ones.

I think that the gotos or the autos with goto handsets do track more accurately,

I only find inaccurate tracking a problem if doing webcam (ie high magnification) imaging, or at my Astro club where there are a queue of people taking turns to view an object, by the time the last person views it it's often moved if using high mag.

For me, The big advantage of the auto, as opposed to a manual dob, is the ability to make fine adjustments to the scope - much finer than nudging.

Thanks for all the advice. I think a 250mm dob with Auto tracking will do just fine.

I already have a webcam (for planets) and a Nikon with CCD which should be okay for DSOs so it looks like a 40mm 2" for visual DSOs. I know the old rule applies, the best you can afford, but any recommendations for eyepieces would be gratefully received?

Another quick q, my home location has street lights, what is the best filter for observing/imaging, I am thinking a UHC?

Regards

Robin

Hi Robin.

You can carry the 300 in two bits (mount first then ota) - I'm 56 and 5 yards is no problem.

Keep it in the summerhouse too - it's a very large aperture that cools quite quickly when the end caps off.

It's the same scope as the auto only with an alt/az goto handset - the new ones have upgraded motors and encoders. I too use the PEA but that's only due to the fact I haven't smoothed the backlash yet. It's reasonably accurate though - enough for observing.

Yes it tracks in alt and az. If you don't get the goto then the 300 auto might be worth getting - you can upgrade it to goto later. You'll also need a shroud. You might choose to fit a cooling fan.

Hope that helps :(

I am thinking of a 300 goto.Anyone got any pictures ,so i can get an idea of the size of the thing.I am hoping to keep it in the conservatory behind a chair.Do you think the wife would notice?:(

Not got any images, but here's link to skywatcher website page which has dimensions and weight of non motorised 12" flextube dob.

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=140&class1=1&class2=106

Obviously base on goto is bit heavier.

And yes I think your wife would notice! :o

We have added a GOTO hand controller to our AUTO dob. Only used it once so far. Whilst not spot on, goto was in the right vicinity every time. I am hoping that with the base more level and also with the finder aligned properly, it will be more accurate next time.

I got the AZ Goto mount brand new for £189. Switched the handsets and sold the new mount/tripod as a tracking set for £75. After paying P&P £15 the net cost of the goto handset was £129. Hope that gives you an idea :hello2:

Archived