Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dosonians Telescopes

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I think it maybe overstating it a bit to say some basic mods are nearly always necessary"

Maybe slightly overstated I'll grant. But I'll bet some will want to add a telrad, or change the finder for a right angle finder, or put a big ep or camera on that needs a balance mod, or add a cooling fan, or secondary heater, or dewshield, or setting circle/Wixey combination, etc to name but a few.

Maybe I should have said "desireable" instead of "necessary" :)

brant knows he's right lol. he's just being nice and pc :)

I bought a used 12" Meade Lightbridge for £350 which was a bit of a bargain. You should be able to get something decent used for £400 though.

I found the 12 just too big for me and it did not get used as much as it deserved. I downsized to a 10" and use that lots.

Worth mentioning that you should try to see the different sizes in the flesh. Pictures of them do not show how bulky and heavy they can be.

I'm not one for mods, but I did have to immediately change to a red dot finder because I didn't get on with the right angle finder.

Mine is shown in this thread Kelly:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing-4.html

Had I seen it before I bought it I may have gone for the 10" instead. I know that aperture is king, but I'd rather be a prince without a hernia. It is just about ok for me to lift, but I am looking at making something with wheels to roll it around on.

If I had to start again, then I'd stick with the Skyliner 200p. This is an excellent bit of kit and can be moved easily enough. Bigger Dobs will pick up more light pollution and you won't see the benefit unless you have really dark skies.

You'll be needing a collimator and some decent eyepieces. The supplied ones are not up to the job. Fit a Telrad finder and print off Telrad maps from the net. I cannot find anything with optical finders!

The main advantage of Dobs is that they can just be set up and used, no fuss, no bother.

brant knows he's right lol. he's just being nice and pc :)

er, no mr obviously newtoastro. Brantuk knew he had overstated the point which is why he politely said that. The fact is, there are lots of great mods you can do but nothing you have to do. It's not helpful for newbies to think that they can't just use the scope out of the box because it has to be "modded". The great thing about a dob is that you can just unwrap it, plonk it on the ground, and look at the stars.:)

Archived