NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1 First look

JKB

Very happy tonight. Got my first sight of M1 Crab. Very pleased indeed. M42 was as always a pleasure to view but then the clouds came!

Still will try again tomorrow. Just need to look at the photography malarky now!

Found M1 for the first time last night too.

I've tried several times before and had just about accepted that it was too much for my Mak 127. But last night the seeing conditions (from my limited experience) were very good and I managed to find it on my first attempt.

Looked like a very faint smudge, at first I wasn't sure I'd actually got it. I played around with some different ep's (none of which improved the view very much). But I slewed around looked at some different targets, went back to the spot where I'd originally found it and the faint smudge was still there.

Not at all impressive to look at, but the difficulty in finding it combined with the fact it's a supernova remnant actually made it very exciting!

Spotted for the 2nd time last night.

The first time was with the 6" refractor back in March on the best ever nights seeing and was a small and faint but distinct oval smudge.

Last night in with the 10" was less impressive but it was earlier in the evening in a region of the sky a little bit more prone to LP than it would have been later in the night in March! Makes quite a difference.

A larger but fainter ovalish smuge but definately there.

A

I got it last night for the first ever time !

its only taken me 22 years to find it :) I only had a few seconds at a time as the cloud was covering it every few seconds,

so I returned later and saw it again :)

I managed to rattle off quite a few ngc's last night as well (open clusters) in Taurus and Auriga,

JJ..

Archived