Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D TV or a half decent set up for AP

Mark-mck

I'd buy a £500 720p projector and spend the £1500 left on a new HEQ5 PRO Synscan (£700), 2nd hand 1000D (£250), and a 2nd hand ED80 £200-£250ish. Then you have money left over for filters, powertank, t-ring etc and you get a TV as big as your biggest wall.

Hi Angus,

No!!! Go for a 1080p, it is sooo much better!

About to watch Bedtime Stories on blu ray and just know we will be immersed in the film as always!

Best regards

Chris

PS Not long given my 720p away to my camera club!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for fun (as i do) , today i went into an electronics department in a big shopping centre.

I sat there for 20 mins watching the movie "Monsters V Aliens" in 3-D WITHOUT a pair of 3-D glasses before a salesperson came to me and asked "Can i help you?".

I had NO intention of buying but i said: "I was thinking of buying this tv etc 15 mins ago but it took you 20 mins to even approach and ask me if i need help and you didnt even offer me a look through 3-D glasses".

That's NOT customer service to me.

3-D tv ROCKS, but i will wait a few years until i can buy a 3-D tv that i dont need to wear glasses to watch and the price is about half of what it is now.

1080p ROCKS too. Not too sure what that is but my 46" tv has it and the quality of picture and sound blows my mind.

How i lived this long without Blu-Ray,HDTV is a complete mystery.

There is a company here in Ireland that have invented/created a magnifying screen that you place in front of your tv that gives a similar experience to 3-D....without using any glasses.

Its is not true 3-D but it increases the depth of field of the tv..........so as to be 3-D.

I cant remember the name of the company but they have had rave reviews thus far. The product they make/supply only fits tv's up to 24" at the moment.

It's NOT 3-D, but it makes the image appear "multi layer".............thus giving a similar experience to 3-D, but without using glasses.

Reasonably priced too.....................at about i think 200 euro per screen.

IMO wait for the 3D tv's to come of age and the price to drop, new tech already removed the need for expensive glasses, and i here they are working on the new panels that dont require glasses at all..no point in rushing its moving too fast! on the other hand the stars should be around a while aswell!

Go for the AP route, if for no other reason that you're more likely to get more of your investment back if you want out of it in a year. The depreciation on the astro stuff is a lot less than the depreciation on TVs - especially the cutting edge stuff that's pretty much out of date before you get it home..

The Astrophoto-capable mount will also stand up well to changes in astronomical directions, as you can put pretty much whatever scope you want on it, a little refractor for widefield AP, a larger newt for all-round visual work, or an SCT for all round everything.

Regarding 3d-tv, I really don't see it taking off as much as the technology leaders and producers want it to. Not enough programming is in 3d at the moment, and the directors and producers need to completely change how they shoot and setup to get 3d working properly. Most of the 3d stuff I've seen recently is overdoing the 3d as it's the new shiny effect that's available without adding anything useful to the show..

There is a company here in Ireland that have invented/created a magnifying screen that you place in front of your tv that gives a similar experience to 3-D....without using any glasses.

Its is not true 3-D but it increases the depth of field of the tv..........so as to be 3-D.

I cant remember the name of the company but they have had rave reviews thus far. The product they make/supply only fits tv's up to 24" at the moment.

It's NOT 3-D, but it makes the image appear "multi layer".............thus giving a similar experience to 3-D, but without using glasses.

Reasonably priced too.....................at about i think 200 euro per screen.

Hi Paul,

I seem to remember that product being invented in tehe 60's and remember people buying them and then throwing them away. Hopefully it has moved on a bit since then of course ;)

Best regards

Chris

3D TV rocks until you are struck down with headaches from watching it ... ;)

Yes that, I think, as a sufferer of migraines would be my problem.

We went to see Avatar on a normal screen and my mate went back with his Wife who could not make the first viewing and saw it on 3D. They both struggled with headaches and balance for a few days!

Best regards

Chris

Archived