NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D TV or a half decent set up for AP

Mark-mck

Well i'm currently having one of my 3D TV fad's again (had one around november time) so i cant decide whether i should waste the best part of £2k on a 3D tv or spend it kinda half wisely on a half decent set up to get me into astrophotography which weather permitting i feel would provide me with more pleasue and entertainment and be a worthwile investment into a life long hobby.

So TV or astro stuff? hmm.............

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fact you've posted this on an Astronomy message board, tells me you pretty much have an idea which it is you really want anyway!;)

The way i would look at it if i was torn between the 2 is like this.

Telescopes are about the best bang for your buck since they were invented.

3D TV's are pretty new on the market and are probably a bit over priced to what they will be in the next few years.

Why buy the dearer TV for your money when you can get the best Telescope and mount etc???

Does that make you feel better?:D:D

2 Grand eh.....NEQ6 Pro Mount Skywatcher 80ed DS-Pro scope, cannon 350d of fleabay £200...leaves you £450 for any other bits you need such as filters, t-mount, remote shutter for the camera, barlow etc etc.

There you have a perfect Astro photography setup.

If you get the TV you'll only be sat looking out of the window on a night instead wishing you had bought the Astronomy kit!:p

i'm more swayed towards the astronomy choice. i managed to talk myself out of the tx last year due to the fact it could get quite expensive replacing the glasses ( currently wreck 2 - 3 pairs of spec's a year due to falling sleep with them on) so i'd be replacing my 3d glasses aswell as my normal ones.

i've been looking at the neq6 and 80 ds as well as various bits and bob's.

the problem is i've very confused, alot of the advice i'm getting is contradictory i.e. alot of people on here recomend something like the 80 ds-pro but i've given a couple of dealers a call and i'm being told i want atleast an 8" reflector like the 200pds. if it wasnt for all the confusion i think i would of already said "sod it" and ordered myself a scope and such.

i think it might take of on the gaming side of things, as for mainstreem tv/films? do you really want to see pat butcher in 3d? i know i dont lol.

so i think i've once again talked myself out of the 3d tv. only question now is which scope......hmmmmm...... decisions

I think 3D TV will stay around this time, because so much money has been poured into it.

I also think that it'll change radically in the next few years. There are already 3D TV's on the market where you don't need to wear 3D glasses at all.

When that is developed further and technology improves, mass market appeal will follow.

For now, personally, I wouldn't touch 3D TV with someone elses bargepole never mind my own ;)

Hey, its your hard earned cash though :p

Hi Mark,

I agree with Mick's assessment of 3D TV. I think it is too early and the prices will come down so hang on for that and spend your money on AP one.

Still cannot get my head around why the 80ed is better than the 100ed which I have so far chosen for my set up!

Best regards

Chris

the problem is i've very confused, alot of the advice i'm getting is contradictory i.e. alot of people on here recomend something like the 80 ds-pro but i've given a couple of dealers a call and i'm being told i want atleast an 8" reflector like the 200pds. if it wasnt for all the confusion i think i would of already said "sod it" and ordered myself a scope and such.

The mount is a good place to start ... get one that will allow you to expand (whatever ota you choose) ... so the NEQ6 you mentioned will be a good choice if it is within budget.

OTA: What are your main interests? For planetary, you need to get good magnification, for which you need a large aperture, and so 8"+ would be good. If you are interested in imaging DSO's, a short focal ratio (faster) scope is the priority. In this case you can do well with one of the 80ED scopes, which would give pitifully small planetary views. Horses for courses.

i definatly think 3d's hear to stay, but mainly for gaming purposes. once again i'll mantion pat butcher in 3d! lol but that's just my oppinion lol

as for scopes .... i still dont know, hopefully "Making every photon count" will be here soon, ordered it friday i think? (all the days seem to roll into the next) so when that gets here i'll have a read through that and hopefully things will be a bit clearer. and if not i'll lust have to buy the 80 ed and the 200p ds lol

Mark, when i first started into astrophotography i was as puzzled as you probably are at the minute.

If it really is astrophotography you are wanting to do, then personally, i would'nt look any further than the SkyWatcher 80ed DS-Pro.

Dont be fooled into thinking a bigger scope for AP is better, especially not as you want to learn the subject and no doubt later learn all about guiding etc.

I started with the 80ed and before i got it, all the time i was thinking to myself...is this sscope big enough fo AP..will this scope get me the images of Nubula and galaxies that i want, will i get the detail i want..etc etc etc....well the answer as i found out was a resounding YES!.

After learning loads about AP and guiding etc, i am now trying to use my 250pds for Ap and believe me, it is a whole new ball game and im certain, had i went straight for the 250pds at the beginning, i would no longer be interested in AP.

Im not saying the 80ed Pro is the be all end all of imaging, but as i think plenty on SGL will testify, for a beginner it is right up there at the top and the results can be AWESOME, especially teamed up with the canon 350d for starting off.

Dont forget Mark, should you want to upgrade in the future to something like the Skywatcher 250pds your only taking about £375 for the scope and as you will have the NEQ6 that is all you'll be needing to buy which by the time your ready for it, you'll have saved up that amount no problem.

As i say Mark, its the route i was advised on going by many on here and other websites, i was a bit apprehensive like you at first, but trust me..i O so glad i took that advice!.

Its an absolute pleasure using the 80ed on the NEQ6 Mount!

The quality of most TV programs these days doesn't really justify the cost of the electronics to watch it in 3D format.

If it were entirely down to me it's quite possible I'd not even bother having a television. Very little programming seems to make it out of what I'd class as "utter drivel". Bit embarrassing when one of my family works as a producer for the BBC and another does a fair bit of acting work for television ;)

James

toss a coin to find out.

not because it will help you decide, but because whilst it's in the air you'll find out which one you were hoping for all along.

got that from the internets, didn't make it up.

Mark, when i first started into astrophotography i was as puzzled as you probably are at the minute.

If it really is astrophotography you are wanting to do, then personally, i would'nt look any further than the SkyWatcher 80ed DS-Pro.

Dont be fooled into thinking a bigger scope for AP is better, especially not as you want to learn the subject and no doubt later learn all about guiding etc.

I started with the 80ed and before i got it, all the time i was thinking to myself...is this sscope big enough fo AP..will this scope get me the images of Nubula and galaxies that i want, will i get the detail i want..etc etc etc....well the answer as i found out was a resounding YES!.

After learning loads about AP and guiding etc, i am now trying to use my 250pds for Ap and believe me, it is a whole new ball game and im certain, had i went straight for the 250pds at the beginning, i would no longer be interested in AP.

Im not saying the 80ed Pro is the be all end all of imaging, but as i think plenty on SGL will testify, for a beginner it is right up there at the top and the results can be AWESOME, especially teamed up with the canon 350d for starting off.

Dont forget Mark, should you want to upgrade in the future to something like the Skywatcher 250pds your only taking about £375 for the scope and as you will have the NEQ6 that is all you'll be needing to buy which by the time your ready for it, you'll have saved up that amount no problem.

As i say Mark, its the route i was advised on going by many on here and other websites, i was a bit apprehensive like you at first, but trust me..i O so glad i took that advice!.

Its an absolute pleasure using the 80ed on the NEQ6 Mount!

Hi Mick,

So why is the 100ED not better than the 80ED?

Very confused on this one and reading Steve's book like mad to get my head around it.

Best regards

Chris

................ i should waste the best part of £2k on a 3D tv or spend it kinda half wisely on a half decent set up to get me into astrophotography which weather permitting i feel would provide me with more pleasue and entertainment and be a worthwile investment into a life long hobby.

So TV or astro stuff? hmm.............

I think by that statement you have already decided, you state that the TV is a waste of money then you state the astronomy equipment would the wisest choice that would also give the greatest pleasure........

The crux of the matter here is which would get the most use.....

either way youre in a good place to have such a dilemma!!!

Well with the great weather we enjoy here in the uk I'd say the Tele would get the most use but that wouldn't be through choice!

I think I'll go down the astronomy route. I'll only get to use it about 3 times a year but I'll still get more enjoyment out of it than TV.

Hi Chris,

the 80ed has faster optics than the 100ed which gives you a wider field of veiw, not to mention it is over £200 cheaper! and as Mark is working to a budget, the 80ed pro is the perfect choice.

Given the choice of both scopes for DSS astrophotography i would take the 80ed first anyway. (thats just a personal choice)

There are better 80mm scopes but a lot more expensive.

The skywatcher 80ed ds-pro is about the best bang for his buck in my opinion, working within Marks budget.

I'd buy a £500 720p projector and spend the £1500 left on a new HEQ5 PRO Synscan (£700), 2nd hand 1000D (£250), and a 2nd hand ED80 £200-£250ish. Then you have money left over for filters, powertank, t-ring etc and you get a TV as big as your biggest wall.

Tv's come and go but astronomy lasts a lifetime.

Yeah but you can watch TV anytime, Astronomy gear lasts so long only because its nearly always cloudy.;)

OR /

just stick with 2D TV, buy the AP gear, & use your imagination a bit more-

When i was a lad...we even had to imagine the colours on TV & there were only 3 channels! :D......i wasn't even allowed to watch ITV :p

Hi Chris,

the 80ed has faster optics than the 100ed which gives you a wider field of veiw, not to mention it is over £200 cheaper! and as Mark is working to a budget, the 80ed pro is the perfect choice.

Given the choice of both scopes for DSS astrophotography i would take the 80ed first anyway. (thats just a personal choice)

There are better 80mm scopes but a lot more expensive.

The skywatcher 80ed ds-pro is about the best bang for his buck in my opinion, working within Marks budget.

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for that.

I was not thinking of Mark here - sorry Mark! - but me! I am not bothered about the money and had chosen the 100ed, but am beginning to have my doubts now!

Best regards

Chris

Archived