NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skytee 2 - First Impression

russ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see if this mount could be modified to take encoders in the future something like the T- Rex mount that uses the NGC max computer if it could be modified it will be good times for us visual astronomers. The T-Rex mount has a hefty price tag i had dealings with a shop in London to fetch it into the country but the price tag was so expensive but it is a cracking mount. So this has been a breath of fresh air affordable and probably when Russ has tested it a mount that can take a bit of weight so to speak and to be honest about time we had a decent altaz that can carry loads i look forward to the report from Russ.

That would be nice, I've got a set of NGC mini encoders and handset waiting to go on a mount.

I've just taken delivery of a Helix Hercules 10" alt-az fork mount Gaz - it's drilled with threaded holes adjacent to the 2 axis which I believe are to help with encoder installation.

If I'd known the Skytee 2 was imminent I might have held back from buying the Hercules :)

I've just taken delivery of a Helix Hercules 10" alt-az fork mount Gaz - it's drilled with threaded holes adjacent to the 2 axis which I believe are to help with encoder installation.

If I'd known the Skytee 2 was imminent I might have held back from buying the Hercules :)

I had the 8" Helix Hercules fork and fitted it with encoders. Nice mount.Another 'I wish I hadn't sold it' story :)

Andy.

Yup !!

I've lost count of stuff I've sold only to really regret it later. I think that Helix was the worst. It had fitted encoders and a Sky commander DSC. An Intes-Micro M500 Mak sat on top. All sold.......

Puke....

Andy.

Russ

Have you anymore updates on the mount i have off loaded some gear to get one of these and i am waiting to see how it handles the 10 inch as i am thinking of purchasing a 250pds to use on it. And also it would be interesting to see if you mount a 10 inch to see if you can also mount your Orion 150mm at the same time. I have the Atlux DP95 tripod with a Vixen Half pillar which i have to take to Orion optics to be modified to take the skytee when i get it. So aslong as this mount can take the weight i have a sturdy base to put it on i hope to hear more from you soon.

Andy

Just in case anyone is still wondering,those bendy Slo-Mo whatnots do fit on this mount.

Ideal when using a Refractor,Mak or CRT type scope.

Access to the controls is made easier even if you are silly enough to stick on a largish Newt. :)

Cheers CW, that could be the deal clincher for me!!

• 2 weeks later...
mmmm, F8 6" Mak Newt on one side and a F4 10" SNT on the other, interesting!!

Or........... a short tube refractor and a Mak............extended views with the frac then 'zoom in' for a close up with the Mak?

That way the eye pieces are next door to each other. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some more info to add:

Skytee 2 with Meade LXD55 SN 10" + Celestron CG5 2" Steel tripod - weight approx 14kg with eyepiece and finder

Of all the setups i tried with the Skytee this was the best by far and without doubt when the Skytee makes most sense. The heavy load, only 1kg off its max quoted payload, did not trouble the Skytee at all. If anything i would say the 15kg max is on the conservative side. Damp down times were near instant and it was a pleasure to observe Saturn at high power. Movements were very smooth on both axis......a delight to use!

Skytee 2 with Orion Optics 150 F5 on vertical saddle and Skywatcher Skymax 127 on horizontal saddle + Celestron CG5 2" steel tripod

Now this was fun! Myself and Harry had our scopes mounted at the same time. And using the ability to move the scope independently of each other, we centered them both perfectly on Jupiter. And then observed at the same time....never done that before. And damp down times for both scopes were as near as instant. The long flexi slow mo's really do help tremendously.

Skytee 2 with Orion Optics 150 F5 + Celestron CG5 2" Steel tripod

hmm this seems to be the point at which i'm no longer enjoying the Skytee 2. Resistance is more than i like or am happy with. The Slow Mo's go some way for making up for heavy movements but i really couldn't wait to get the Orion off the Skytee and back on the AZ4 for silky smooth movement.

Just some more thoughts:

This mount really suits a heavy ota or a long ota. I'm sure it would work very well with the 150 f8 or a long 5" refractor. But really it comes alive with an 8" + newt, big 8"+ SCT or large 6" refractor.

If you are thinking of buying one, get the Flexi Slow Mo kit.....it's essential not optional. Those standard Slow Mo knobs are hopeless for anything other than a short SCT or Mak.

Archived