NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skytee 2 - First Impression

russ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to consider if using the slo-mo extension knobs is that if you fit the conterweight shaft and weights in the vertical position they can hit the slo-mo extension as you move the mount in Az.

I find that with the 150 f/8 newt OTA or a 4" refractor I can reach the standard knobs easily. If you go up to a 10" newt then yes the extensions would be useful.

John

• 2 months later...

The mount works perfectly and can carry some reasonable weight i have been using it for 3 months and do not have any issues at all it was worth every penny. I have just posted a thread on equipment discussion board which shows my skytee with a 10" Newt attached just to show what this mount can hold. I think most people who have the mount are happy i would be suprised if any have been disapointed.

..... i would be suprised if any have been disapointed.

My only concern with the one I have been loaned is with the quality of the dovetail mounts. They look nice but on one the thread has stripped out of the tension knob making it unusable :p

Maybe this was just my sample :D

Otherwise, it looks a very promising heavy duty alt-azimuth mount - I'm just a little nervous about putting a heavy OTA onto the supplied dovetails.

I know that John (johnderby) has replaced the dovetails on his which may have been a good move.

My only concern with the one I have been loaned is with the quality of the dovetail mounts. They look nice but on one the thread has stripped out of the tension knob making it unusable ;)

Maybe this was just my sample :D

Otherwise, it looks a very promising heavy duty alt-azimuth mount - I'm just a little nervous about putting a heavy OTA onto the supplied dovetails.

I know that John (johnderby) has replaced the dovetails on his which may have been a good move.

Steve at FLO has ordered some ADM dovetail saddles with the correct hole spacing for the Skytee 2 so it'll just be a one minute bolt on replacement job. :p

John

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ADM saddles for Skytee-II are now available from stock

Ouch! - That's an expensive upgrade considering that one should expect the supplied saddles to be fit-for-purpose! :)

i really couldn't wait to get the Orion off the Skytee and back on the AZ4 for silky smooth movement.

Hmmm... I guess that's the final deal-breaker for me, as I'm already an AZ4 owner...

The thing I like about my Skytee 2 is the silky smooth movement. Just requires fingertip pressure to move, and of course it has the slo-mo controls. Just wouldn't consider any manual Alt-Az mount without slo-mo controls now nowadays.

John

Ouch! - That's an expensive upgrade considering that one should expect the supplied saddles to be fit-for-purpose! :)....

Those were my thoughts with the Skytee II that I tried. Mine also did not exhibit the silky smooth motions that John's does - I found it very sticky even with a heavy OTA on board :eek:

If Skywatcher can remedy these issues (which I'm sure they could easily) the mount has a lot of potential though.

Meanwhile I'll stay with my AZ-4 and Giro-type mounts.

Archived