Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A night with the galaxies

mdstuart

Galaxies are my passion so I love trying to spot them with my 20 x 80 bins.

Last night was dark. Mag 5 stars visible to the naked eye..

Spotted M51 and its associate, M63, M108,M106,M94,M81,M82..

Then NGC 2903, 2841 and I managed NGC 2655 which has the supernova in it but I could not pick this up in the bins..

Just made out NGC 1023 near M34..

So 11 in all which was great!

Mark

Wow, just goes to show how useful a good pair of bins can be in the right hands.

...and a lot quicker than a scope too.

That's impressive for an evening's viewing. I dont think i've seen that many in the last year!

That's a great night's viewing there Mark. You've got me really jealous, as at the very best you can see down to mag 3 from my very light polluted garden. I've got some 15x70 bins, but other than the Orion nebula, the Pleiades and the Andromeda galaxy I'm struggling to locate DSO's :)

Excellent Mark, that is a very decent count, I have similar mag skies at home mag 4.6 and even better mag 5.5 only 10 mins away, thing is, since I got my Helios bins I've only been abel to use them once! Hoping I can test them in the same way as you have and boost my Messier count for starters plus one or two other nice objects up there :)

Alan, I will be interested in how you get on with those 90mm binoculars.

I seem to get to mag 10.5/11 with my mag 5 skies so perhaps 6 below naked eye.

I think your helios will be a higher spec than mine and perhaps use a high proportion of the 90mm wheras mine only use about 85-90% of the aperture as I understand it.

Try a few of the galaxies I have mentioned and see how you get on.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived