Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy - Spotted, I think?!

mcooke999

Have I found the Andromeda Galaxy or not guys??

Considering it is supposed to be so large, I've found it really difficult trying to find it! But finally after hours I spotted a large 'smudge' in my EP!

It was left from Cassiopeia, and much further right, and slightly down than Pleiades, and at x48 looked like a large round / eliptical fuzzy smudge. The smudge wasn't visible through the 9x50 finder because of light pollution. It also fit within the view using x120 but was much dimmer at this magnification.

It didn't look anything like the images, much more rounded and no deffinition to it at all. litrely just a smudge.

Appologies for my rough description, but do you think i've found Andromeda?

I just looked following your directions and it certainly sounds to be in the right area. You can double check in Stellarium.

The way I do it is using the top left corner of The Great Square of Pegasus. Two star hops to the left (in a shallow arc), turn sharp 90 degrees and go up a bit.

I double check by taking the sharp pointy bit of Cas as an arrow which points straight there.

You're right about the "seeing" though - tonight it's aweful. But on a clear dark night I can see Andromeda naked eye, even better in binocs. We do have the allmost full moon to contend with at the moment too, which washes the dso's out considerably. :)

It didn't look anything like the images, much more rounded and no deffinition to it at all. litrely just a smudge.

Your description is what most of us see. It's a large 3 degree object ( about 6 moon diameters ) but with light pollution we only see the

brighter central core, dissapointing after all those great images.

Under a decent sky, like Kelling star party in N Norfolk, the view

does improve, not too difficult to see the main dust lane, but never

matching the images we are all famliar with.

Best regards, Ed.

Here is a single frame image i took:

Cassiopeia is outlined in white and M31 (the Andromeda galaxy) is circled in red.

Yes thats approximately where i found it.

The sky was so light polluted though, I only found it by scanning with the 25mm EP over and over again around the area I knew it was.

Im pleased that i found it but it was deffinately not as good as I had imagined, given its fame. Just a smudge, i guess it wasn't dark enough to see any dust lanes which I should be able to just see with my 10" dob.

Im going to have a look for M81 /82 next I think.

Which are the next easiest to find?

Which are the next easiest to find?

When you have found the Andromeda galaxy M31, then M32 is in

the same low power field of view. It looks like an out of focus star,

but it is a satellite galaxy of M32. Keep looking at the stars in the

close vicinity, one of them will look larger & fuzzier, thats M32.

Under a half decent sky you can also spot M110, it's on the other

side of M31, and a bit further out, but not nearly so easy to spot.

So 3 for the price of one :) cheers, Ed.

Edit : here is a pic of all 3 objects http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/images/d4/androx.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im0424.html&h=2048&w=2048&sz=645&tbnid=TG5RgoOnlsoJgM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dimages%2Bm31&zoom=1&q=images+m31&usg=__zBNyvWU2hNSgPczH0lHW8DVrK5E=&sa=X&ei=l_U2Tf3YFISBhQfR6JX8Ag&ved=0CCAQ9QEwAw

M31 is the largest object in the pic, M32 just below (looks like an out of focus star) M110 off to the upper right. The gap between M31 and M32 will seem larger visually, as the outer regions of M31 are not visible under most skies. All the best, Ed.

I am afraid ya light pollution don't do diddly for the big faint fuzzies. You need to get way outta town for em.

You outta be stoked ya found it from heavy polluted sky?

You'll see the dust lane easy in a 10" from dark sky site.

Good hunting n clear skies.:)

Steve

Have to say that Brantuk's advice for finding it is spot on.

I read his tip for the first time about 3 weeks ago and have since passed the method on to someone else, who can now locate it easily too.

So thanks again for the tip :)

Marko

Archived