Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Compasses ?

A Silva compass works well provided you are not on a balcony and surrounded by other magnetic things (handrails etc) as my set-up is. That sends north off in all sorts of odd directions depending where I happen to be standing (or even facing). In the end I would set up my EQ mount on Polaris. Now I have an Alt/Az Goto mount though I don't have to worry about that anymore as it only needs a couple of stars for reference.

Surely you just know which way is north? Or are you talking about trips away - presumably on these times though you can just look up and work it out?

I use a compass A LOT hiking in **** weather (bog standard map compass), backed up by GPS on my Android phone but have never yet needed one to work out where Polaris is...

Do GOTO mounts have a lot to answer for or am I missing something?

Surely you just know which way is north? Or are you talking about trips away - presumably on these times though you can just look up and work it out?

I use a compass A LOT hiking in **** weather (bog standard map compass), backed up by GPS on my Android phone but have never yet needed one to work out where Polaris is...

Do GOTO mounts have a lot to answer for or am I missing something?

I have goto and no problem finding north but a compass can be useful if there is cloud obscuring that bit of sky

Is sighting along a compass accurate enough for decent tracking? Guess I was assuming that _some_ cloud would stop viewing and hadn't considered a compass as something I would need...

That does make sense, though - thanks.

I don't have iphone but I read somewhere that theres an app for true north. I must admit that sounds handy

Forgot - one of the home screens on my Android phone is also a compass... Has a reasonable inclinometer but not something I would rely on.

Archived