NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trouble seeing M1

Ronseal

I've been trying the last couple of clear nights to catch some messier objects, bagged a few but cannot see M1 through my 15x70's :evil6:

All I can guess is that its light pollution from streetlights and/or not totally clear skies (high whispy cloud) - is this a particularly difficult spot through 15x70's?

I had a glimpse with averted vision but not claiming it until I've properly seen a smudge as I may have been imagining it :)

M1 is a bit tricky to spot on the best of nights many people have found it a difficult target, when you do see it you will understand why you have missed it before. That was my assumption after a few missed attempts. As Taff mentions, a decent location will really help. :)

Alan

All I can guess is that its light pollution from streetlights and/or not totally clear skies (high whispy cloud) - is this a particularly difficult spot through 15x70's?

It's not particularly difficult in 15x70 (I can see it in 10x42), but it is very difficult in the conditions that you describe -- it may well be dimmer than your skyglow, in which case it will be impossible without an LPR filter and even then it may not be possible.

Sir PM says you can see it 10x50s but despite a pristine sky I never manage to do so. Don't know why. Maybe I don't hold them still enough because I have seen it in a 10x5o finder. Well, when I say 'seen' it might be 'sensed' more like...

Olly

Sir PM says you can see it 10x50s but despite a pristine sky I never manage to do so. Don't know why. Maybe I don't hold them still enough because I have seen it in a 10x5o finder. Well, when I say 'seen' it might be 'sensed' more like...

Olly

I don't know about 10x50 but we picked it up easily with 15x70 from our dark site.

But from the backgarden in moderate to poor light pollution it's a completely different ball game. See it no problem with the 12" but the view was only as good as a 3.5" from the dark site. What a difference a good sky makes.

Archived