Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece, Curious at ppl answers

Ok, here is a question

What eyepiece do you have/like to use the most and why? Also what's your favorite eyepiece in your collection and what eyepiece would you like to buy in future/now

Reason I'm starting this topic because I want to build a small collection of couple eyepieces for this year, I'll like to see everyones views on eyepiece so I/we can have a good idea on what eyepiece to buy next.

Barlows maybe? If you wish to include barlows, please feel free.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Televue powermate barlow - ain't got one but they're the best. Celestron Ultima or Orion shorty very popular. I like radians (3) - very clear, and ethos's (1) very clear and wide (100% fov - 110% in some cases).

One of my faves is the Hyperion Zoom - great all rounder and will make any low end scope sing :)

I'm quietly building a selection of cheap but good quality eyepieces. Mainly plossls and orthos.

But i have one Meade 4000 UWA 6.7mm which is absolutely superb and one of the best eyepieces i've ever owned, easily giving my old 7mm Nagler a run for its money.

In the future i would like to track down a few more of the Meade 4000 UWA's but they still fetch a pretty penny. One today on Buy'n'sell for £95, which is more than i can afford.

I have the 6mm, 10mm and 15mm Skywatcher eyepieces that came with my 'scope. The 6mm is rubbish, far too powerful for my 'scope. The 15mm is ok.

I also have a Celestron Xcel 21mm that came with a recent purchase. I wasn't sure if it would be any good as reviews on the net suggest that they suffer with "kidney-beaning" problems. I can confirm that this is true. It's really nicely built, cost a fair bit when new, but I will probably sell it on as I'm not a fan.

Finally I have a 32mm eyepiece that came with an Ebay purchase. It doesn't have a name on and I suspect it's only a cheap one (probably Seben) but it has loads of LER, with a nice big lens to look through. My only criticism is that it doesn't have an eyecup.

I'm probably going to buy some new eyepieces shortly and I'm looking at the Explorer ED eyepieces available on Ebay - about £35 each. The seller isn't far from me and these eyepieces seem to get very good reviews and are apparently clones of the Paradigm eyepieces.

My most used and most enjoyed eyepiece is my 13mm Tele Vue Ethos. I also have a 2" 1.6x Antares barlow lens which is a superb optic.

That Antares 1.6x is such a good piece. I had one a while back and weighed up whether to keep my TV 2" Big barlow or the Antares. Sold the TV. :D I was convinced it was better but subconciously i was probably motivated by the financial aspect. :)

My most used and most enjoyed eyepiece is my 13mm Tele Vue Ethos. I also have a 2" 1.6x Antares barlow lens which is a superb optic.

Do you also use the barlow with the Ethos 13mm Eyepiece and does it make any difference?

Interesting replies, Pretty much everyone has a different opinion on eyepieces.

Doesn't help me one single bit on my next piece :)

The favourite might be the 22mm Nagler T4, followed by the Radian 8mm. Having said that, the 14mm Meade Series 5000 UWA is very good, and for seeing very wide field objects, the best is my Paragon 40mm. When I am looking at planets, the 8 and 14mm get used most, but i must get a 10mm Radian for nights with less than perfect seeing (the 8mm is often a bit short, the 14 a bit long). Conversely, when I am looking at planetary nebulae, the 22mm and 14mm get used most. For galaxies (except M31 and M33) and most nebulae and clusters the Nagler 22 is the work-horse. And for very wide objects the 40mm.

Horses for courses.

Barlow-wise I like the two Meade series 5000 TeleXtenders (2x and 3x, similar to TV PowerMate). However, I rarely use them visually, mainly in planetary imaging

Do you also use the barlow with the Ethos 13mm Eyepiece and does it make any difference?....

I use the barlow with my 8mm and 6mm Ethe to give me 5mm and 3.75mm 100 degree FoV eyepieces.

It was using the Antares barlow with the 13mm Ethos that convinced me of it's optical quality though :)

My favourite at the moment is my 32mm plossl, which I use every observing session and like it a lot because it gives real bang for the buck! It's good as a search EP for those faint and/or big DSOs. It was also the first extra EP I bought to add to the standard Skywatcher supplied items.

I hope my new (to me) 13mm Hyperion is going to take over as favourite but it still hasn't seen the night sky yet :eek: It feels good in the hand with a nice weight to it and I'm really looking forward to using it....one night :)

Otherwise I think I would like to get an 8mm Hyperion :D

Doesn't help me one single bit on my next piece :)

It depends a lot on what you observe the most. I do DSOs mostly so the 31mm stays more time in the focuser.

Yep, I think eyepieces seem to bring out the most widely differing views in the whole of Astronomy equipment land.

You have to find what works best for you- which may mean the odd faux pas along the way.

As pvaz says, eyepiece choice is influenced by what you observe most.

My absolute favorite ep is my 12mm Konig- flawed, but superb contrast & brightness, a good all rounder for me, but probably not to many peoples taste.

My favorite is my 6mm TMB clone, although I can only use it on the occasional nights of excellent seeing. But it is the eyepiece I am using when I get my best views of planets or the moon. The 9mm TMB clone is also adorable, and there is hardly a night when conditions are so poor I cannot use it.

EDIT: I should also add that the 9mm will give a sharper, prettier, brighter view on any night than the 6mm, but the 6mm will show a little more detail if you have the patience to wait for moments of perfect clarity.

I use the barlow with my 8mm and 6mm Ethe to give me 5mm and 3.75mm 100 degree FoV eyepieces.

It was using the Antares barlow with the 13mm Ethos that convinced me of it's optical quality though :)

So barlowing 13mm ethos would give approximate 6.5mm ?

just spent nearly 200 quid on two hyperion baaders, 24 and 13mm. not mentioned here, should have checked this thread first. hope i've not made an expensive mistake

Haha, when did you order it, mind I did made a topic to order ethos 13mm eyepiece

Jahmason, is my right hand man to get advice from, he seems to know what he is talking about, before you purchase something make sure you get advice from jahmason.

But nevertheless I'm sure it's a good eyepiece.

Hi Chrissy, I have the 24mm Baader Hyperion - it is a very nice eyepiece. The Hyperion multicoatings are much better than on my TMB clones for example, and they have a very wide field of view. When you get them you will certainly find them to be impressive, imposing eyepieces. They can give wonderful views.

However, I find the TMB clones more comfortable to use for me (because of the twist-up eye cup, and the narrower field of view which makes eye positioning easier). But I know other people find the Hyperions very comfortable to use.

Archived