Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC405 The Flaming Star nebula (HaRGB)

Tim

I have enjoyed doing this one, although the processing has taken longer than gathering the subs in the first place!

The nebula itself is a Ha rich cloud which shows up very brightly when photographed. What makes it a little different is the large blue star which causes some of the surrounding cloud to shine brightly as a reflection. Photo's taken with a standard camera reveal the reflection as a rich blue colour, against the contrast of the pinky red Ha.

Interestingly, the parts which shine so brightly by reflection, are those which are the darkest through a Ha filter, which makes for interesting processing to say the least.

In total I gathered 12.75 hours of Ha data, mainly 20 minute subs, and around 3 hours each for Red, Green and Blue filters. Using the magic of Registar I combined the Red and Ha data, and then added the green and blue.

Equipment used: Skywatcher MN190, SXV H9 mono camera, Baader 1.25" filters. Stacked in DSS, processed in Pixinsight & Photoshop, combined in Registar.

For reference I have also included the Ha data and straight RGB data, although these have just had a simple stretch, along with a full size version of the HaRGB by clicking the picture.

Thanks for looking.

Tim

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture8127-ic405-flaming-star-hargb.jpg

post-14037-133877512719_thumb.jpg

post-14037-133877512727_thumb.jpg

C'est magnifique mate! I was thinking when you posted the WIP that it was a bit purpley and you'd need some proper exposure time, you've sorted both out properly :). The ridges where the emission and reflection nebulae mix are stunning!

Tony..

Thanks for all the comments :) I meant to say, if anybody would like the data set used for this picture, to practice on, just let me know, I will upload the stacked files for RGB and Ha somewhere.

Cheers

Tim

Tim, this image was worth every minute it took you to capture it, and process the stacks. Lovely result, wonderful detail, very nice stars and star color - and an overall compelling experience. A keeper!

Cheers, Harel

Archived