Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

oh god,another eye piece question

nightfisher

Still trying to decide, might be an 8mm now, want to get one that will work well with both my tal 100 and the omc mak,

looking at explorer dual and tmb planetary, any help with this will be apreciated:cool:

Still trying to decide, might be an 8mm now, want to get one that will work well with both my tal 100 and the omc mak,

looking at explorer dual and tmb planetary, any help with this will be apreciated:cool:

I know it's not on your short list but if you can run to the extra £7 over your budget you will not be dissapointed with the 8mm Tele Vue plossl:

TeleVue 8mm Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"

The other eyepieces can be fine if you get a decent one but I'll bet they are not 100% performance checked before sale as the TV's are :)

8mm will give a nice 125x in the Tal, which could be barlowed on good nights. And 250x in the OMC, which is a good high power but may not be usable most nights.

are you looking to barlow EPs? also, are you happy with tight eye relief (under 10mm)?

if not then the TMB clones might be a good option given the slow scopes you have and their wider field etc.

personally though for planetary I think you cannot beat either TV plossls or Baader GOs at this sort of price (I actually prefer my 12.5 BGO on planets to my 13mm Ethos so price is really irrelevant to some extent). given the seeing conditions in the UK my recommendations would be either a used BGO 12.5mm or a new TV plossl 11mm. I feel they are better and certainly hold their value very well.

Yes, but that's just my opinion. Try one and see for yourself though :)

£57 is really not much to pay for an excellent eyepiece.

I would wholeheartedly second that opinion, however in your scope with f16 optics the difference would probably not be very evident between TV and other plossl's, but in a fast scope the TV's are a vast improvement.

however in your scope with f16 optics the difference would probably not be very evident between TV and other plossl's,

That's true if we were talking about design limitations (as you do when discussing too simple wide field eyepieces in fast scopes), but if the actual quality of the eyepiece itself (as opposed to the design) is concerned, a slow scope isn't going to help. A Plössl is pretty happy at f/6, and making the scope f/16 won't help that much.

Archived