Spider metal

Moonshane

Hi all

does anyone know of a good supplier (mail order might be required unless they are near Manchester) that can supply small volumes of steel (preferably stainless) sheet metal for making eg spider vanes etc?

This is the one bit of material that I have not fund obvious sources online.

maybe I should just heel johninderby's advice about the width of vanes no being too critical (e.g 0.5mm and 5mm not making much difference to the view). I can get flat bar at 3mm thick easily but hoped for something a little thinner. I suppose I could always try and cut them with a grinder or snips but something purpose cut maybe 0.5-1mm thick and perhaps 20mm wide would be perfick.

thanks!

Shane

cheers Ron

I have found some suppliers on Ebay but they generally sell small sheets which I'd need to cut - that's the hard bit for sheets anyway :D

you are right though, I'll keep looking - there's no rush though - saving for a big mirror. :D

I have a couple of Engineering contacts who might help - they'd be off cuts / scrap to them I bet!

Or you could try:

Chronos Ltd Stainless Sheet 300mm x 300mm

For 300mm square sheet in different thicknesses 0.9mm 1.2mm or 1.6mm

Well worth trying "Model Engineering Suppliers" like Chronos, GLR Distributors, Reeves 2000, Blackgates etc (disclaimers all round) for supplies of smaller steel/brass or aluminium. they often hold stock of smaller/odd sizes and are well worth a call.

Just a work of caution! Stainless steel is great.... strong won't rust but it is murder to work with. You need to know characteristics of Stainless to work well with it. Drilling cutting and all the normal that is straight forward on mild steel / aluminum is a totally different ball game on SS.

What dimensions do you want? I have some mild steel. It's mostly heavier gauge but I can see what I have and if it will work. You would need to pop down the powder coaters or have it zinc plated as mild steel rusts almost the moment water gets on it.

SPACEBOY

Hi Shane,

If the exhaust bracket thingies don't workout I have seen steel rulers recommended on a website describing how to make a curved spider. I don't know what type you're making and I don't know if steel rulers are stiff enough for ordinary spiders but it might be worth some experimentation,

If you get stuck I might be able to help. I just happen to be a sheet metal worker and I have access to aluminium sheet down to 0.9mm thick or galvanised mild steel sheet down to 0.7mm thick. We sometimes get stainless but not very often. As spaceboy says, stainless needs consideration to work with. You might want to paint the vanes black, so the choice of material would be regardless of it`s natural finish anyway. Needless to say I could cut, shape and bend the bits to suit.

hi Nick

thanks for the caution - didn't realise that about stainless so thanks.

I am after making vanes a bit like the attached. they could also be just straight I suppose. I'll also be making larger versions when I make a larger dob but this will be in late 2011.

if you have anything suitable that I could adapt this would be great!

spider vane.pdf

Or you could try:

Chronos Ltd Stainless Sheet 300mm x 300mm

For 300mm square sheet in different thicknesses 0.9mm 1.2mm or 1.6mm

Well worth trying "Model Engineering Suppliers" like Chronos, GLR Distributors, Reeves 2000, Blackgates etc (disclaimers all round) for supplies of smaller steel/brass or aluminium. they often hold stock of smaller/odd sizes and are well worth a call.

cheers Bizibuilder, there's a model shop near where I work will give it a try!

have you tried contacting either david luckhurst or orion optics

cheers for that. I am trying to make everything bar the mirrors myself for a dob project and really want to make bits (for the fun of it!) rather than buy ready made unless I cannot avoid it.

Hi Shane,

If the exhaust bracket thingies don't workout I have seen steel rulers recommended on a website describing how to make a curved spider. I don't know what type you're making and I don't know if steel rulers are stiff enough for ordinary spiders but it might be worth some experimentation,

cheers Alan

on your advice I have just got Kriege and Berry for Christmas off my daughters so just thinking out loud at the mo. I bet that book will give me some ideas too. a ruler might actually be OK for my 8.5" f8 truss but would be a little light weight for the 16-18" I have planned next year (in my mind).:D

brass strip is available from model shops in various thicknesses and widths , it is used to make model train, steam engine , parts etc , it can be soldered or brazed at relativeley low temps and can be drilled easily & can be painted with flat black easily.

The Bits And Pieces Place items - Get great deals on 6mm plate, 10mm plate items on eBay.co.uk Shops!

cheers ponytale! this is a good idea too

If you get stuck I might be able to help. I just happen to be a sheet metal worker and I have access to aluminium sheet down to 0.9mm thick or galvanised mild steel sheet down to 0.7mm thick. We sometimes get stainless but not very often. As spaceboy says, stainless needs consideration to work with. You might want to paint the vanes black, so the choice of material would be regardless of it`s natural finish anyway. Needless to say I could cut, shape and bend the bits to suit.

wow what a kind offer. I'd definitely be interested in talking again once I have some final ideas sorted in my mind.

Have you tried a visit to a scrap yard?

good thinking Keith - I may well do this - I bet it would be a good way of finding something suitable and possibly ready made bar the cutting off of the ends.

hi Nick

thanks for the caution - didn't realise that about stainless so thanks.

I am after making vanes a bit like the attached. they could also be just straight I suppose. I'll also be making larger versions when I make a larger dob but this will be in late 2011.

if you have anything suitable that I could adapt this would be great!

Hi Shane its the gauge of the steel I'd need to know as I have heavy stuff. It's probably thicker than what I think you have in mind but I used to have a 200k and the spider vanes on that are steel and were like thin sliced bread.

Archived