Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best sky atlas for new telescope owner.

Hi I've been asked by my parents for ideas for the husband, they haven't a clue, as I've bought him a new telescope thanks to the help of this forum, I thought perhaps a Sky atlas would be good idea. Could anyone recommend a decent one Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pocket sky atlas is good, cheap and small. It charts pretty much everything he'll be able to see on most amateur telescopes.

Maybe a good starter book, such as "Turn Left at Orion", will be more useful for a beginner.

The map ideas above are sound. But I notice you also wanted "ideas" and that would depend on what type of scope you got him.

For an SCT he'd find a dew shield invaluable. For a newtonian he'll really appreciate a collimator, a refractor would be well equiped with a red dot finder.

These are general ideas of course. A goto system will need a suitable power pack, a manual tracking scope would benefit from a RA motor upgrade, all scopes will be better with half decent ep's of an appropriate size.

If he suffers with his back or neck a right angled finder would be a godsend, a trussed dob would need a shroud. A light pollution filter would be good if you live in a heavilly lit area - I could go on for ages lol :D

"Nortons Star Atlas" is not what it once was but it's still a very good beginners general astronomy reference, as well as having a set of star charts which work well for observing with the naked eye or binoculars. "Pocket Star Atlas" is a good basic atlas but the small size (still needs big pockets though) makes it a little awkward to use in practice.

What about a subscription to "Astronomy Now" (IMHO the best of the bunch)

Thanks for the help on the book front guys i'll passed on your suggestions so many to choose from, told them to get the pocket sky book but any of the others should do they all look similar and worth having to me. I've also bought the Stargazers calendar whilst on Amazon myself thought it might get the kids interested in it having a calendar up in the kitchen says it does monthly guides also. Thanks again for your help everyone.

Pocket Sky Atlas is good.

"Turn Left" is okay, but not at all field friendly. I think a better choice would be Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. A lot more in depth but still covers all the brightest objects - far less easily "outgrown".

Andrew

Sky and Telescope Pocket sky atlas is good, cheap and small. It charts pretty much everything he'll be able to see on most amateur telescopes.

Maybe a good starter book, such as "Turn Left at Orion", will be more useful for a beginner.

Totally agree with Paulo on this. I would also buy a planisphere available from most bookshops.

Mark

All of the above books are very good. I have 'The Cambridge Star Atlas' by Wil Tirion which is excellent but may be a little sterile for a beginner.

I would highly recommend downloading the astro software 'Stellarium' because it tells you / him exactly what is where in the sky from wherever you are located and whenever you are viewing. Also it's FREE!!!! Which is everyone's favourite price. :D

Oh forgot one thing.

It isn't a star atlas but the book i have found most useful and have referred to more than any other is ' The Backyard Astronomer's Guide' By Terence Dickinson & Alan Dyer. Like i said it is not full of star charts but it is full of facts plus guide on kit, upgrades, setting up and using telescopes, hints and tips on everything astronomy related plus some basic info on the planets etc. I still refer to it regularly.

Good luck :D

It covers everything from choosing a scope to astrophotography and top end guided mounts and most things in between. It's not my only ref book but it is my most used. seriously worth owning.

Clear skies (or should that be skis at the current temperatures)

Rob

another good choice i dont think has been mentioned here yet is

The Observer's Sky Atlas: With 50 Star Charts Covering the Entire Sky by Erich Karkoschka

I have used this book for the last few years and now note a later addition is out details can be found here

The Observer's Sky Atlas: With 50 Star Charts Covering the Entire Sky: Amazon.co.uk: Erich Karkoschka: Books or check with the retailers i got mine of TH a few years back it fits in my coat pocket though i note some comment that the new version is a tad larger but not by much. but it is with me at every observing session. gives detail of each area of sky detailing what can be found there what is needed to see it M & NGC. in map format and word format it does take a little getting used to but you would not be sorry to have this one i find it better than all the others i have.

Grahame

I agree with the posts above on the Pocket Sky Atlas and Turn Left at Orion they are both good for beginners and maybe later the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. I've got all three and recommend them all. As said before though the Illustrated Guide is a bit more in-depth but an excellent book to take out in the field with your scope.

Regards

Archived