Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A very quick Horse and Flame.

3ggman

Just before I sat down to start processing Pleiades (i took an extra 20 subs to go with Sunday nights 20, the noise is turning out to be a bit of a problem as I shot it at 1600ISO) where was I, yea, I decided to get some subs of the Horse and Flame while I still setup.

Very quickly processed with no darks or flats, I plan to add a lot more to this at the weekend I this weather holds up.

Canon 1000D

15 x 90sec subs

ISO800

IKI 70mm

CG4 unguided.

Edit - Reprocess further down.

post-19471-133877506724_thumb.jpg

Very nice image, particularly given that there are no darks or flats. Is the camera modded?

On the point regarding noise and the ISO setting, my understanding from others on this forum is that if you're shooting in RAW, then the ISO setting has no effect whatsoever, as it doesn't affect the sensitivity of the sensor. You may as well simply shoot at, say, ISO400 at all times. Perhaps others can advise on this point?

Great detail for a quick capture!

On the point regarding noise and the ISO setting, my understanding from others on this forum is that if you're shooting in RAW, then the ISO setting has no effect whatsoever, as it doesn't affect the sensitivity of the sensor. You may as well simply shoot at, say, ISO400 at all times. Perhaps others can advise on this point?

I don't think that's true. The ISO has a great affect on the signal-to-noise ratio. Most people here seem to settle on ISO-800.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully tonight I can add another 20/30 subs and darks.

I have heard that before about the ISO, it does effect signal to noise, what I have found is that with ISO400 you have a lot more room to mess with the images afterwards, with ISO1600, what I have found with these images is that noise appears very quickly leaving you with head room to bring out fainter details.

I may do a test with 20subs tonight and compare results (watch this space)

Very nice image with a good natural looking colour on the first version. The reprocess is a litlle bit over saturated though.

Regards

Kevin

Yea looking at it now I totally agree, I will give it more of a natural look later.

Archived