Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blazewear Heated Clothing

FLO

From the outset we have wanted to offer heated clothing but when we first looked at them, about four years ago, the heating elements were stiff and fragile and the battery packs large and heavy. Then at Kelling SteveL showed us his Blazewear heated body warmer. Heated clothing has clearly come of age!

Blazewear_Khaki_Deluxe_gilet.jpg

The heating element used in Blazewear heated clothing is an ultra-modern non-metallic type that is highly efficient and very durable so will not be damaged if you bend or twist it while in use. It is also soft, flexible, emits heat evenly and has low EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and far Infrared function. It is also waterproof which makes the garments easy to clean.

The modern compact Li-ion rechargeable battery has no memory effect, can be recharged more than 500 times without complete discharging and takes approximately 3 hours to charge with the supplied charger. It is only a little larger than a cigarette pack so fits unobtrusively inside an inner pocket.

The perfect solution to standing outside in sub-zero temperatures!

We shall be adding a number of Blazewear products to our website today. First up is the Deluxe Heated Body Warmer in khaki green. It is a quality-made garment with brushed polyester water-resistant exterior and inner fleece lining for extra warmth. Heat panels are in in both sides of the chest as well as the back. Two way zip for comfort when sitting.

We will update this thread with details of other Blazewear heated items as they appear on our website.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how much we spend on our astro kit, it seemed silly to give up because of the cold. Everyone who had borrowed mine has had that "ooo aahh oh thats better" moment after a few minutes when they can start to feel it warm up... and then had to turn it down because they were getting too hot :)

That looks cosy - what a good idea!

Where does the battery go? (Seriously!)

BTW - have you noticed how the ladies' cut sizes only go up to a 16?

May I suggest...

'Whole Lotta Rosie' size

'Loadsa Rosie' size...and...

'More Rosie than you can handle' size? :)

...or I could just wear a man's jacket.

(Shame really, because my bits don't resemble a man's at all. Sigh).

Nevertheless, that's a jolly functional and cosy-looking gilet and a sensible addition to the site. ;):)

Where does the battery go? (Seriously!)

I'd be interested in the answer to this plus how big and heavy is the battery - I'm wondering about one for golf in the winter.

Do you have to pay extra for the controller in order to control the heat level? How does the controller connect, is it by wires?

Mike

Just out of interest, anyone know what the heating elements are made of?

Blazewear use carbon-polyester based heating elements. I don't know the science behind how they work but it is something along the lines of axially parallel carbon filaments sandwiched between two layers of polyester... I think.

how big and heavy is the battery - I'm wondering about one for golf in the winter.
The largest double-capacity battery is still quite small, roughly 9x7x2.5cm and 200g. It fits neatly into an inner pocket where it plugs into the garment.

It should be perfect for golf Mike.

Do you have to pay extra for the controller in order to control the heat level? How does the controller connect, is it by wires?
No, the standard and double-life batterys have their own +/- buttons with five heat settings and an LED readout. For the mens Gilet/bodywarmer there is alternative battery with a small (fits in the palm of your hand) control on the end of the wire. The control fits into a small pocket sewn into the garment. The wired remote option isn't available for the womens garment.

I'll find a picture and post it here.

Lu, Mel, it is not unusual for woman to buy the larger mens Gilet. It doesn't have the feminine shape but I am guessing that won't trouble you when stood in the dark at 3am in below-zero temperatures :)

HTH

You are probably thinking of the Blazewear 'rider sports gilet' which is a lighter weight, thinner version of the Deluxe Gilet with a nylon outer. It is popular with bikers and horse riders as it is thin enough to act as a middle layer. It retails at £85.

I'll add it to our website tomorrow but meanwhile, here is a pic.

post-12699-133877504833_thumb.jpg

bout to ask about heated insoles, my feet were numb for 2 days after the last star party, so anything to lessen the agony would be most welcome.

PEterW

What about a tent with a fan heater?

Or you could take a cat which likes to cuddle up on your feet. :)

(That gilet would look smashing in purple, you know...)

The feet got cold from standing on them!

What is the battery life like on these units... 3.7V and 2.2AH gives 8.1WH, not a lot of heat for not a lot of time....?! be good to heat from someone who has used them?!

Cheers

PEterW

bout to ask about heated insoles, my feet were numb for 2 days after the last star party, so anything to lessen the agony would be most welcome.
What is the battery life like on these units... 3.7V and 2.2AH gives 8.1WH, not a lot of heat for not a lot of time....?! be good to hear from someone who has used them?!

You sound just the man we need to test them :)

If you PM me your address we will send you a pair of Blazewear heated insoles free of charge in return for a report here on SGL.

Blazewear recommend that you use either good quality NiMh rechargeable batteries or their own rechargeable 3300mAh lithium-polymer batteries which are smaller and lighter. They quote 2-4.5 hours heating time depending on the type and capacity of battery used, which is plenty of time for most astronomers. If you want longer you can always charge extra batteries.

Blazewear_heated_insoles.jpg

The feet got cold from standing on them!

PEterW

Well, Peter, you've just got to perfect your dive-in-the-tent-for-an-emergency-warm-up technique!

When combined with the dive-in-the-tent-for-an-emergency-tea-with-brandy manoeuvre, it can be very effective in combating Acute Podiatric Glaciation Syndrome.

...or you could just test-drive the heated insoles and 'lose' the return address...:);):D(Sorry Steve).

Archived