Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HORSEHEAD AND FLAME NEBULA , TEST SHOT

CELESCOPE

Stayed up late last night , took a couple of images , never went out till after 10 , first image i gathered some light on to the chip somehow so not a good one of IC63 nebula , so wont put that one up , but thought i would have a trial run at the horsehead, not the best orientation i like , but was getting tired and the wind blowing a gale as well , so guess i was lucky to get this one , subs used were 39 at 60 secs , HA filter , ED 80 for the wide field using the reducer to F5, processed in Maxim , manual combining , hopefully i want to do a really lovely colour one of this , just need the weather ,

Cheers

Rog

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Richard

A luminance filter typically blocks UV and IR light, passing only the same wavelengths as the RGB filters. A clear filter does not block UV or IR but is used for maximum signal transmission over the full range of the CCD. for all my emission nebulas i use the HA as the main luminance , then use red blue green for the colour, final image is to combine the colour data , and transfer that colour data onto the luminance image as this has the quality data in it ,

Relection nebula with the CCD i use the clear filter for lum and also the blue filter then combine the two , it works ok as seen in my Iris nebula here

Cheers

Rog

image.jpg

I'm not sure opinion has changed. As I recall this discussion's been going on for some time-decades? It's similar to the discussion of the planetary nebula in (front of/behind) M46, Ngc 2438. It's fairly agreed the dust came from the formation of the cluster, but its distance is in doubt. Usually, if astronomers come within a factor 5, they feel pretty good. :D

Archived