NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

leveling heq5 pro mount?

Astronutjob

Hello having just been out with my heq5 recently, just wandered how other people level the mount? i put a bubble level in the recess of the tripod and levelled but when you put the mount and spreader in it moves it slightly, there are no real flat surfaces on the mount to put a bubble level. Iv tried putting a spirit level across the spreader in two directions but the spreader plate isnt flat, its got a slight curve in it.

Just wandered what other people do?

I wouldn't bust a gut over it. The only thing you are really doing with the bubble level is setting the reticle of the polar scope in the right orientation. Contrary to popular belief the mount can be perfectly aligned when not even roughly level, as witness the fact that very expensive Takahashi mounts don't have adjustable legs so cannot be levelled at all. There are small advantages to having a level mount, it can be argued, but going to great trouble is not worth it.

A small 2-tube bubble (90 deg to each other) in the flat middle of the spreader would be good enough, I'm sure. You see them in DIY and caravan shops.

Olly

Thanks for the advice, Oh ok i though the mount being level was essential for a good polar align? in that case hopefully a spirit level across the top of the tripod will suffice before fitting the mount? Also i noticed seeing polaris through the polar scope with it illuminated was very difficult, iv looked through the menu in the handset and there is no brightness adjust? Any tips on how to get polaris in the circle?

I don't bother

Level by eye and get the important axis pointing at the North Celestial Pole

job done

You can nail it vertical on a wall if you want as long as the polar axis is pointing at the correct bit of the sky

It does not have to be level

It just makes it a little easier

I always found the polar scope light far too bright, as have others on this forum. I resorted to turning it off and shining my red torch down the tube. Bit of a contortionist act, though!

hi merlin iv got the version 3.25 and its definately not there?

I'm sure it's in the set-up menu now rather than than the utilities one.

I'll go and check on mine

EDIT: Go to the "Setup Menu", select "Handset Settings" and press the scroll down arrow and you should see "Polarscope LED" brightness, if your mount supports this.

• 7 years later...

Archived