NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first aurora borealis

Whilst I didn't manage to capture anything at Kielder due to....exhaustion on the only clear night and then cloud :eek: I managed to set up a shot of Ursa Major against a backdrop of aurora.

First time I've seen the AB.... although given that we'd had almost a week of cloud at Kielder we thought we'd brought it with us and it was a sea mist rolling in!

Let me know what you think

post-17582-133877498437_thumb.jpg

I'd love to go and see them further north. They were nothing like the dancing ribbons than you see on TV, quite a different glow and moving very slowly.

I think going to Norway would be amazing...but getting a good image from a boat might be tricky.

Mike

Cheers Dave, it was quite strange/ serendipitous after the last night at camp talking to Scottish mike (sorry I've forgotten his name) about aurora....and then actually getting to see it.

And mom was quite impressed as it was here first time on Mull and she got to see this, eagles, deer, dolphins and otters. I think more than we've seen in 12years!

I'd love to go and see them further north. They were nothing like the dancing ribbons than you see on TV, quite a different glow and moving very slowly.

I think going to Norway would be amazing...but getting a good image from a boat might be tricky.

Mike

Terrific shot,unfortunately there's not much action up here,cloud has been the winner whenever there has been aurora forecast..A lot of the dancing ribbons you see on the TV i think are time lapse so they are a little faster moving than normal,quite often you see the stars moving.We get the big swirls and wavy curtain effect around solar max but in all the 40 odd years i've been watching them i've never seen them move as fast as they do on the TV.Even the big aurora of 2001 which was right overhead and beyond to the south was slow in comparison

Great image.

The only aurora I've been lucky enough to see was several years back, when the AB was directly overhead in Bedford, Beds. Amazing visually but, unfortunately, I over-exposed all my images so ended up with quite poor records of the event (this was in the dark ages of slide film!).

Would love to travel up to the arctic to have another go at imaging!

I bet you are pleased to catch that. Is this taken from the Ilse of Mull ?

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin, yes it's Mull. We head up there at least once a year but this was the first time we took all of our astro gear. Telescope didn't get much of a look in though as I was playing around widefield with the dslr for most of the time. We tend to head right out to the Ross over on the western end of the island, Fionnphort or Bunesan and it's amazingly dark looking out over towards the sea.

fionnphort - Google Maps

Thanks everyone else for looking...yes I was pleased with the framing, but it does sort of show my lack of real astronomical knowledge as it would have been great to capture all of Ursa Major and when I identified the stars in Stellarium I was gutted to see I'd not quite got it all in! :eek:

But drawing the map has certainly helped me with that part of the sky anyway!

Archived