Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lion's Face and a giant spike ....

brianb

AR 11117 has a striking appearance in Ha; see if you can spot the lion peering out at you:

Sun-101027-1046-Ha-AR1117-FLTX25.jpg

2010 Oct 27, 1046 UT. WO FLT 110, Solarscope SF-100 Ha filter set, DMK41 camera.

There was an exceptionally tall bright "spike" prominence on the north west limb:

Sun-101027-1056-Ha-promNW-FLTX25.jpg

2010 Oct 27, 1056 UT. WO FLT 110, Solarscope SF-100 Ha filter set, DMK41 camera.

It nice to be able (now) to see some of these for myself. That SPIKE was indeed impressive. The "Lion" (I see him/her!) region seemed remarkably contorted. I thought sunspots were round. <G> Though I sense there's a layering(?) thing going on, which might be obscuring the symmetry? But then I'm new to this PST... :)

I thought sunspots were round

Sometimes they are, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

There are at least three magnetic dipoles in this active region. These are pulling the surface filaments into the sort of patterns that iron filings make near a bar magnet, but of course on a very much larger scale.

I reckon that face is no fluke. It's the sun and it's the most amazing thing there is. It's a living breathing entity. It meant to show you a Lion. It did it on purpose :)

The sheer size and power of it is captured beautifully in your pics.

Amazing work.

Archived