Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First decent Jupiter images

johnh

SPX350 F22 and F30, EQ6, Flea3, Astrodon filters and IR742nm.

Only got a brief time imaging and seeing was above avg so I collimated on Ganymede and detail looked reasonable especially in IR742nm filter. Nowhere near Neil's quality but Jupiter is 60deg alt here in Brisbane but seeing causes poorer images, even here in Oz many cannot reach Neil's level apart from Bird who is in a class of his own. I took Neil's advice and kept image as bright as possible.

I am using a new CCD called the Flea3 which is small and has higher red/ir sensitivity - same pixel size as DMK. The IR is a less than half as bright as the blue channel but gain increase and or exposure increase produces a good image.

The IR filter for once gave a good show with avg to above avg seeing, Jetstream will break up over next few days so may get another chance. I stacked one a white oval in NEB with 45sec channels I still get red and blue edges either side of the planet?

I tried F30 but this was too long a fl for the conditions.

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877496284_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877496289_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877496294_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877496298_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877496303_thumb.jpg

great images John

been waitng for u to post some shots from that big white monster,

was really impressed with ur Saturn efforts this year,

what framerates were u using with Flea ?

looks tiny even compared to DMK

pics looks very good lots of detail and nice colour,

prob longer focal length with better conditions would give even better results

like 1st RGB version and IR pics showing loads of details too

regards

James

Thanks guys, weather here in Queensland has been awful like the UK with rain for 5 weeks and floods in Bris during Sept and Oct so not had a chance. Getting better collimation but the seeing keeps promising but just falls short. I will try a fl of 8500mm or so if seeing is better.

The Flea3 is cheaper here in Oz without the VAT for goods below 1000AUD. I use FireCapture which is the only software for the F3 and it has a gain and exposure button and when you alter the exposure in ms you can see the frame rate in the data box. At F22 45fps at F30 42fps (higher gain), IR742nm was 25fps.

Images are a bit too bright, my planetary skills are developing but my processing is some way behind, just need more practice.

John.

Well if your processing skills improve on that, ill be surprised. can only really see sharpening desicions, as a route for a difference, you know slightly more, or less, that kind of thing. As long as your frame sorting is good, not sure what else you can do. Maybe im wrong, but looks to me like you been processing jupiter ages, though you havent have you.

your dependent on seeing and collimation i reckon. Everything else will take care of itself by the looks. these are nice, lovely colour, lovely whites ( a true test on colour casting, those whites ) slightly smoother than the other one. Would rate these as good John, but the other one, excellent, with slightly sharper poles, finer detaill.

A good outing

Archived