Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aperture Fever

I've heard of a condition on here called aperture fever and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a diagnosis.

A few months ago I bought my first scope, a 6" Newtonian. I now wish I had shelled out a bit extra and got an 8" instead. I am planning on upgrading to an 8" in the next 12 months but when looking at the prices it's only a bit more to get a 10"!

I'm pretty sure that the 10" will fine but with a little extra cash I might as well get a 12"! I'm now currently saving up for the Hubble space telescope!:)

Do I have aperture fever? And if so, how can it be cured?

Brian

You dont have it yet, if you had you would just know and not have to ask, and pondering about wether or not you should go for the bigger scope is just the on set of it.

If you had the full blown version of the fever you would be stealing kids dinner money to raise enough for that bigger scope :)

The only cure I am aware of is either marriage or bigger scope.

You dont have it yet, if you had you would just know and not have to ask, and pondering about wether or not you should go for the bigger scope is just the on set of it.

If you had the full blown version of the fever you would be stealing kids dinner money to raise enough for that bigger scope :)

The only cure I am aware of is either marriage or bigger scope.

My name is Shane and I'm a apertureaholic.

My experience has recently taught me four more treatments (there is no known cure) all in the form of self interrogative questioning.

Can you carry your scope?

Can it fit in your car?

Do you have an observatory?

Will it fit through your doorways?

If the answer to any of these is no, then you are on the road to acceptance that you've gone far enough :(

Do I have aperture fever? And if so, how can it be cured?

Like most things in life, however bad you have something - there's always someone who has it worse.

Like this chap for instance:

1360371_IMG-7370.jpg

That is one huge 'fractor! That's got to cost faaaasunds!

(Copied image link from an ebay auction - found after I bought a Bahtinov mask from the seller. I doubt "stayfocused.co.uk" will mind the free publicity here.)

It might be a fantastic scope but I would not fancy trying to look at the zenith!

Indeed! Well spotted. Looks like a careless slew on the DEC axis might well wipe the focuser/EP/cam off the end of the OTA on one of the pier legs :(

Sorry Brian - hijacked your thread a bit there.

"As you were" chaps. :)

Must be something darned interesting going on in that office block...

You are certainly in the early stages of aperture fever and I know of only two cures, viz;

- More aperture. Mercifully this need not be too expensive. I found a used 20 inch f4.1 Dob for £1400. It is pretty good.

- More expensive and not guaranteed to work, an excellent and quite large apochromatic refractor. In my case the exquisite nature of the view, particularly of stars and planets, switches me into Optical Quality Fever instead. This is even more expensive than aperture fever and may even co-exist happily with aperture fever, a disastrous scenario.

Where does aperture fever end? In my view around 25 inches, or maybe 30, because once your focal length gets too long you can no longer fit your known quarry into the EP and have to start on smaller fainter things for which your new aperture is not quite enough!

But don't upgrade from 6 to 8 inches, seriously. Really not worth it. A quantum change comes at 10 inches. 12 would be better. Wait till then to upgrade.

Olly

Aperture fever? Yes, you got it.

Going from a 6 inch to an 8 inch will not get you much. A 10 inch is a far better jump. If you can't go that far, probably best to stay at six inches and learn how to get the most out of your equipment. Also keep in mind that after 8 inches, stuff starts getting big and heavy in a hurry regardless of what kind of telescope it happens to be. Get what you can afford but also remember you have to store it someplace, use it somewhere, and get it between those two locations somehow. Even if pressing 60 pounds or 30 kg is not issue for you, the bulk of a telescope may change the equation, especially when stairs, elevators, etc. are involved. Also, if you need to transport it in a vehicle ... the bigger the aperture, the larger it is .... will it fit in your car?

The only known cures (slipped disc, empty wallet) are worse than the disease.

You can now buy a 50" Dobsonian ... but you'll probably need a tall ladder & a good head for heights to use the thing. And a large bank balance which will vanish as though by magic.

My name is Shane and I'm a apertureaholic.

My experience has recently taught me four more treatments (there is no known cure) all in the form of self interrogative questioning.

Can you carry your scope?

Can it fit in your car?

Do you have an observatory?

Will it fit through your doorways?

If the answer to any of these is no, then you are on the road to acceptance that you've gone far enough :)

Answered by...

Can I build a trolley/get mates round to help/afford a gym membership?

Can I afford a bigger car/trailer/motorhome/van/lorry?

Do I have the room for an observatory or I do I need to move house?

How much will these doorways cost to get widened?

With a supplemental question...

Can I afford the divorce without selling the astro gear?

If you have reached this point you have a terminal case.

• 6 months later...
Already succumbed, Celestron N6 GT joined by a 10 inch Revelation Dob. Wish me luck,

George

Good luck - did you get authority 1st or are you just waiting for it to be noticed? :)

Aperture fever does have a practical limit with regards to you getting a bigger newtonian and that is the cost of a sufficient mount, which will always dampen down (...sorry:D) any aspirations. Having said that, the arrival of the new EQ7 might cause my condition to flare up again in the near future.

James

You are certainly in the early stages of aperture fever and I know of only two cures, viz;

- More expensive and not guaranteed to work, an excellent and quite large apochromatic refractor. In my case the exquisite nature of the view, particularly of stars and planets, switches me into Optical Quality Fever instead.

Olly

Olly is right - a really large refractor is the only way to go! You won't satisfy your aperture fever at all - you will just catch another disease that will take your mind off the first problem! :D

"OQF" (Optical Quality Fever) will also completely redefine your definition of what is "portable" In my case,

1. Yes, it fits in my car - as long as I take it apart first and store the OTA diagonally across the back of the SUV.

2. I can also carry my scope - again, as long as it is in pieces... the entire rig is about 225 Kg. :)

3. Fitting it through doorways isn't a problem - it's a refractor, not a dob - so it is nice and slim! ;)

4. I do have a permanent 'observatory' - my front patio is designed to accomodate my scope and I have a permanent compass rose mosaic in the floor (laser-aligned!) to help with evening alignment.

If you would like to see my "little Grab-n-Go" scope, you can click <HERE>. Just a fair warning.... one look may hook you, and there is NO KNOWN CURE for OQF!!! :)

Just for reference, the OTA is 7-feet long, and the center of the rings is 6.5 feet off the ground. :eek:

Dan

Like most things in life, however bad you have something - there's always someone who has it worse.

Like this chap for instance:

1360371_IMG-7370.jpg

That is one huge 'fractor! That's got to cost faaaasunds!

(Copied image link from an ebay auction - found after I bought a Bahtinov mask from the seller. I doubt "stayfocused.co.uk" will mind the free publicity here.)

I've had the pleasure to see this scope in person and it is a truly beautiful piece of astronomical equipment but Steve was telling me it took 3 of them just to mount it so don't forget to order your self a hoist at check out :)

Archived