Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To build or not to build.

Agelesslink

I guess you can consider me a do it yourselfer. I've built a pc. ATTEMPTED to repaint an old guitar. Refurbished my house. I like to get hobbies, but sometimes go overboard too quick.

At the moment, i'm just focused on getting my celestron 15x70 binoculars, but i'm considering building my own dobsonian later on.

My question is, Is it suggested for someone like me? I've never owned a telescope before so I don't know if I would have the right outcome when i'm done. I'm obviously gonna research everything and not approach this uninformed, but again have never used a telescope before. Another thing is, Would a handmade scope perform as well as say a zhumell dobsonian or the like? I know the primary mirror plays a major role, but does the tube or anything like that play a part in the quality? Another thing is, is it cost effective? I noticed on telescopes.com the zhumell z10 is $500. If i were to build a 10 inch dobsonian, would the cost of parts be the same or more?

Any input on a first timer would be helpful. Thanks!

I've never thought about taking a project on like that but if I were to I think I would maybe buy a small 6" dob that I could use for reference.

If you go for it the first thing I guess you do is look for a nice matched primary and secondary at a focal length thats suitable for your needs and then go from there. If you do go for it I hope you would document your progress as it would be very interesting to see how it goes.

From what I've read you certainly get more bang for your buck when you self build and it sounds like you enjoy a project, but it also sounds like something you'd only get into once you've got some experience behind you.

Have you read the info in this link.....

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/72869-essential-reading-those-who-thinking-about-getting-into-astronomy.html

It's got some good advice for us newbies.

But if you do decide to self build, then I look forward to hearing about it.:)

Best of luck.

In the beginning, the Dobsonian mount, named after the wonderful chap who devised it, was intended to be simplicity itself. In it's simple form, namely a wooden structure that carried a cradle in which the telescope OTA rested. It moved in two axis left and right Azimuth, and up and down Altitude.

Thousands of people are grateful to John Dobson for this simple device, which brought sidewalk astronomy to the American people, and across the world. (End Of History Lesson).:)

The Dobsonian can be as simple, or as professional as you wish it.

If you have the DIY skills, go for it. There are books on the subject, and the Internet is a Hive of Info.

I remember reading an article about one chap in the States, who took years making his own Dob. He used all types of exotic woods, and covered in inlays, it was a work of art. When it was finished, his wife commandeered it as a piece of furniture, and it took pride of place in her living room.

Generally you'll pay nearly the price of the whole scope just to buy the primary mirror alone... and far more for the mirror if it's a 'premium' jobby.

See the excellent thread on mirror-making elsewhere in this forum... even the cost of a scope with DIY mirror is not much saving until you can master making large mirrors.

An excellent project for many other reasons, but saving money is not one of them.

I like building stuff. I build my own PCs - coincidentally, I currently putting together a "pedal board" for my guitar-ing too. Financially, sometimes you win, more often you (at best) break even? But I think there's quite a lot of scope(!) for modding astro-stuff. You can do a LOT with e.g. the basic Skywatcher stuff (OTAs, mounts etc.) to ease the task of observing. I'm not sure my efforts would command much second hand value, but mostly they DO work... :)

As a complete self build is probably going to be "cost neutral" why not try going halves? By that I mean - buy an OTA (eg a 200mm Newtonian) and build a Dob mount for it as a DIY project. If you fail you still have the scope and a seperately bought mount costs the same as buying one with the scope in the first place!!

Dear 'Ageless link',

I have made all my own telescopes except the refractor I have now & my very first 40mm refractor. I have built my own for two reasons; 1. because it was a lot cheaper & 2. I like making stuff. Since scopes of good quality are much much cheaper now that they were 10 years ago I would be less inclined to build my own but I still dally with the idea. At present I am thinking of refiguring an old 8 inch mirror to make a travel scope. I just love the whole process, planning, designing building & using scopes that I have made myself, perhaps I am a 'control freak'!

My first was a 6 inch newtonian made of mecano with purchased optics although never got around to building the mount as I soon got aperture fever.

My 2nd was an 8.75 inch dobsonian with purchased optics, spider, focuser and a wooden tube & mount. I used this a lot and enjoyed lots of good planetary views & galaxies. It had a few problems such as a sticky mount ie. when I moved the scope to get the object back into the eyepiece view it moved a lttle jerkily as I had no idea that tube & mount rigidity was essential for smooth movement plus I'd never heard of teflon.

My 3rd was a 12 inch with great (purchased) optics although It had the same problems as the 8 inch & for some reason I lost interest in Astronomy & sold it dirt cheap :). I remember great views of M82 the active galaxy with knotty details in it & subtle details on Jupiter & saturn.

I was bored one morning 8 years ago & suddenly had the idea to make the telescope of my dreams - a 14 inch (actually turned out to be 350mm, 13 3/4 inches as it was a metric mirror). Unlike the previous scopes I would do it properly and purchased a book by Kriege & Berry & that described how to make a truss tube scope that was very rigid and had 'buttery-smooth' motion. I estimated I could make it for several hundred pounds less than a new one. This was perfectly feasible at the time however the main mirror turned out to be a dud & I eventually spent a couple of hundred pounds to refigure it which added to the overall cost.

However I now have a fairly decent scope although it is probably not quite as good as Skywatchers latest 14 inch (dont know though as have never used a skywatcher). The collimation alters a little with elevation of the tube. The mirrors figure has a 'rolled-edge' which degrades contrast so I have to mask the aperture down to 12 inches to get good planetary & close double star performance. (the inner 6 inch radius has a good figure so functions well- I only use the outside .6 inch for extended objects such as galaxies. The very outside quarter inch wide edge is very poor so have masked it permanently).

Although I have never made my own mirrors from the beginning, I found the figuring process (the hardest part) exilarating and addictive. It feels good to realise you can make a mirror accurate to a quarter of the wavelength of light with just your hands, and simple materials. I am IN NO WAY of above average intelligence, although I have a fair bit of experience making things like model aeroplanes when I was a kid. You just need lots of spare time, average patience and the love of making your own stuff,

If you prefer to spend most of your spare time learning about the stars and doing actual observations then I would advise you to buy a ready-made scope but if you like making stuff & are a control freak like me;) then DIY ! You could start with a 6 inch which you will still use even if you buy a larger scope later,

good luck,

Alan

Generally you'll pay nearly the price of the whole scope just to buy the primary mirror alone... and far more for the mirror if it's a 'premium' jobby.

See the excellent thread on mirror-making elsewhere in this forum... even the cost of a scope with DIY mirror is not much saving until you can master making large mirrors.

An excellent project for many other reasons, but saving money is not one of them.

I think this hits the nail on the head. you do it for pride and pleasure not for money savings.

I started thinking about making a 16" dob. the cost of the mirrors alone would be more than the cost of a used 16" Lightbridge! If only I could afford Mick's (Doc) if it's still for sale.....

I may still do it though as it would be superb and apart from the mirrors you can create the scope itself quite cheaply and in the meantime save save save.

I spent 18 months building my own 16" truss Dob and its fantastic. I spent ages looking for good second hand mirrors - eventually landing a pair of Meade ones. I reckon my build cost me a thousand quid but it was cheap compared to the satisfaction I gained and skills I developed.

Buy a book called The Dobsonian Telescope by krieg and berry http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dobsonian-Telescope-Practical-Building-Telescopes/dp/0943396557/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287495560&sr=8-1

You wont look back!!!

David

Whether you build or buy you must consider how heavy it will be, how big it will be, where will you store it and how easy will it be to get it out and use? The other consideration is whether you are keen to actually build for the fun of it or if you want to get down to observing, in which case, buying would be quicker. There's no reason why a home made scope shouldn't be as good or better than a commercial one providing the mirrors are good and you contruct it well. I would also recommend following tried and trusted plans. Good luck, whatever you decide. Dave

Archived