Finally on the TV firm

spaceboy

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need a couple of things first! 5.75 mag dark site, 40 minutes of dark adapted eyes, good seeing and a whole lot of averted vision but yes. The details are very subtle but none the less there.

Holy cow, now I can see why you compared it to Cassini division for the first time. Consider me extremely jealous!

Dark skies ruined the whole observing at home thing for me.

How true.

Never set up at home myself.

You just cannot top dark skies.

Cannot be bothered to set up under street lights.

Rather drive 30/45mins to reasonable skies, or further at weekends to proper dark site.

Regards Steve

I agree with the comments about darker skies, makes an amazing difference. even with the 12" the spirals arms in M51 were easily seen. I was a bright 'classic' galaxy with it's companion NGC plain plain to see. it's a faint pair of blobs at home. dark lanes were also easy in M33 and M31 of course from a dark site near Buxton once. I am hoping that the jump from 12" to 16" will be a decent increase in aperture and I am sure it will be - SGL7 oh yes! (and Peak Star Party where I am determined to go with it too.). At lower powers and even with the 13mm Ethos, galaxies really shine.

sure thing, were's the pic of your ep set?

we all like to see what people are using, Televue or not :D

you have a couple of very decent one's so far!

Sorry it has been a little while!

IMG_7791.jpg

The SUPER skywatcher eyepieces have gone. I now am trying to decide about the 8mm plossl, 6mm tmb and 32mm plossl...

The 24 pan makes the 32 plossl redundant. If you to get rid of 1 that would be it.

That's true - if you wish to dispose of the 32mm can I be 1st in the queue please :D

Ha ha form an orderly queue... :D

Seriously though the opinion of this 32mm and its reputation is making me think I should keep it for eternity. Why could people like you John possibly want this eyepiece when you already have naglers and ethos etc no offense.

Ha ha form an orderly queue... :p

Seriously though the opinion of this 32mm and its reputation is making me think I should keep it for eternity. Why could people like you John possibly want this eyepiece when you already have naglers and ethos etc no offense.

I'm looking to complete a 1.25" "minimal glass" eyepiece set. So far I have:

4mm University Optics Ortho

5mm Baader GO

6mm Baader GO (possibly superfluous)

7mm Baader GO

9mm Baader GO (on it's way)

13mm TV Plossl (smoothside)

21mm TV Plossl (as above)

The 32mm would complete the set very nicely as the max FoV with the 1.25" fitting :(

I don't want people to think I'm obsessed with eyepieces though .................... :D

Ha ha form an orderly queue... :p

This has me intrigued as well, we must be missing something here! :D

Hang on!!!! Where's all you VT's in that list ?

The 4mm University Optics is a VT. The others have found new homes now as I've moved on to Baader GO's. The BGO's are a tad better optically but ergonomically I prefer the VT's. I'm "training" myself to use the flat topped BGO's though ....... :D

As I've admitted before, I am an "Ocularholic" :p

Thanks Spaceboy. I managed to get the PDF to work. 8 Euro each with minimum £7 postage :D. Thats 31 euro for 3 little slivers of rubber! I managed to source them at Telescope House for £3 each. They are Orion branded and look identical.

Thanks Spaceboy. I managed to get the PDF to work. 8 Euro each with minimum £7 postage :p. Thats 31 euro for 3 little slivers of rubber! I managed to source them at Telescope House for £3 each. They are Orion branded and look identical.

Cool, be sure to less us know if they are worth it :D

I know Shane. I have had no end of stuff from the U.S so worked out the total to £255 ish after duties. Always a gamble when purchasing of eBay but the seller had a few nags for sale and part of the winning bids go to charity which could suggest that the person is a stand up guy and the descriptions were accurate. I just couldn't justify having it having the 22 nag but I must admit I would have liked it at that price just to try it out for a while. Probably one of those I'll regret missing :D

Archived