Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

whos staying up

richbyers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your new arrival :) mines three and I have to look after him in the morning.

So the plan is: leave the scope running for an hour on M45 and sleep on the couch. Wake up in time to run 30 mins on oriens belt, bring in OTA and camera and then go to bed properly... Leave mount outside, bagged up.

I woke up this morning at 4.15am, wondered outside to have a quick look at the sky and had completely forgot that Orion would be there.

Seeing Orion for the first time in a while is always a wonderful experience, like seeing an old friend. I whipped out the skymasters and checked out M42 quickly and it was beautiful.

I fell asleep during my M45 imaging run and woke up at 4:15. Went outside and saw Orion but I was too tired (and had to look after my son in four hours) to actually see anything. To see the constellation was reward enough, but I did take a few short camera snaps as it seemed rude not to :)

I walk down a short steep hill about 5am on my way to work.

Looking over the houses from the top Orion has been stunning the last couole of days.

Even looking past streetlights the sword has been clearly visible to the naked eye.

Maybe I should be doing morning astronomy rather than evening?

This is the first time I saw Orion and actually took notice. It was incredible to see it, more or less for the first time). Can't wait to actually get a closer look at the second star in the sword :) I hear it's pretty spectacular!

@Worzsel - I've got a Mak 127 too, I love it!

I did not see Orion. I always wonder how other people cope after being up late imagaging/ viewing. I have a 3 3/4 and a 11 month old. Its a nightmare - you lucky if you get to slepp i til 6am.

It has annoyed me even more after reading on here that the seeing was so good. The forecast all said it was going to be clear with a slight chance of an air frost. I did take my kit out but it was like pea soup from 2000hrs. It was only when I was going to bed at 2345 I looked out and it was inky black. :mad:Too late and too tired - need to catch up on some slepp so |i am better prepared when it is next clear

I did not see Orion. I always wonder how other people cope after being up late imagaging/ viewing. I have a 3 3/4 and a 11 month old. Its a nightmare - you lucky if you get to slepp i til 6am.

Truthfully, viewing takes a lot more energy out of me. The physical act of 'being at the eyepiece' seems sometimes like practising gymnastics in the cold. Imaging has the disadvantage of taking longer to set up but the advantage of being able to leave the exposures running while I get a warm cup of tea and watch the images roll in in comfort.

It has annoyed me even more after reading on here that the seeing was so good. The forecast all said it was going to be clear with a slight chance of an air frost. I did take my kit out but it was like pea soup from 2000hrs. It was only when I was going to bed at 2345 I looked out and it was inky black. :mad:Too late and too tired - need to catch up on some slepp so |i am better prepared when it is next clear

It was a total pea soup from 2000 to 2200. I decided to polar align anyway as I could just about make out where Polaris was and I could still align on Vega as it's so damn bright it breaks through the cloud. However Sat24 (top tip: bookmark this site!) showed the cloud bands moving across the UK from west to east. There was a gap approximately the width of Portugal that at this time was just off the west coast of Devon. I stayed up in the hope that this empty band would make it across Hampshire - and it did :)

I got one glimpse of Orion a couple of weeks ago - I can't wait to see that nebula again!

Did you see the nebula through the eyepiece?

I had a camera attached at the time, so I took a few exposures. Can't see anything at the moment - I'll have to do some stacking.

Archived