Hello from Edinburgh

wbm

Hello all!

I've been a keen photographer for many years but it's only been the past couple of weeks that I've started to point my camera upwards at night. It's got me hooked. I'm now thinking of raiding the "new lens fund" to buy a couple of mirrors instead. :D I've got a couple of questions to ask about that but I'll not ask in this post...

Here's a photo that I took last Friday night of Jupiter (and a couple of its moons, I think) lighting up the clouds:

1002600342_EDaT9-L-4.jpg

Canon 5D Mark II, 135mm, f/2, 4s, ISO 800

Ewan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello and welcome to SGL

I'm in South Queensferry, over towards yonder Fife

It looks like you have caught the imaging bug already :D

Hi Euan,

It's the imaging side that attracts me: the scenery outside my flat rarely changes, the sky does every night. :eek:

I guess the sky out at South Queensferry is not quite a light polluted as here in the city center -- do you know where's the nearest place I can get reasonably dark sky?

Ewan

I guess the sky out at South Queensferry is not quite a light polluted as here in the city center -- do you know where's the nearest place I can get reasonably dark sky?

It's not quite as bad, although the A90 and the Airport don't help matters....

I opt for my garden only because I'm lazy I have a permanent setup, but a lot of people go either down further down towards the borders or West Calder way

You should check this out for some good local knowledge: CSOG Forum - Index

Hi from London. I've also been a keen photographer for many years...when I recently saw what Astro photos could be taken with a DSLR it rekindled my interest in Astronomy.

In the past few weeks since I started I've learnt it can get expensive....and addictive.

Hi Ewan,

A very warm welcome to SGL, if you search around a bit you can find photos taken of our Heavenly wonders with only telephoto lenses, you can also, if your handy at DIY, build yourself a Barn Door tracker for your camera, to help with long exposures, hope you enjoy our company.

John.

Archived