Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter through 15x70s

Dr Nurburg

I have to say, I have had my pair of 15x70s for about a year now and they never cease to amaze me! Needless to say I have calmed down about getting a telescope so soon.

But basically, most nights of the year, Jupiter comes around and sits just outside my balcony. It's a prefect gift for me. I can just sit out there and watch.

Now, I have to say the detail is outstanding. I am overwhelmed by how OBVIOUS it is that I am indeed looking at a gas giant with orbiting moons.

To me it appears as a creamy bright disk, evidently not a star, since it is so huge in comparison to a star. Also the way it emits light is quite different. It is of course a gassy reflector and not a nuclear emitter.

I sit on my balcony with just my 15x70s and basically watch in awe at this PLANET with MOONS. They are also OBVIOUSLY moons because again, they are reflectors not emitters - like shiny studs on a canvas.

Seriously it's awesome.

These are wonderful binoculars - I bought a pair 18 months ago and they never cease to amaze me with the quality for the price outlay.

I have toured the night sky looking at deep sky objects and you can see so much with these binoculars.

Whilst looking at Jupiter have you also looked at Uranus which is very nearby?

Mark

I was looking at Jupiter last night with my new 15 x 70's and was well impressed with the view. The planet itself was too bright to make out any detail and there was some flaring of the disc as well. However, the moons stood out well against the inky darkness.

I'm sure I saw Uranus as well. Up and to the right (about 1 o'clock position) and the first thing I came to?

Well pleased with these Quantum 4 binos.

Yes Jupiter is a great sight. But I find that it is so bright through the 15x70 that there is some flaring and I don't see a clean disk. Do you have that problem.

Alan

Not particularly. Maybe it is your model? I use Skymasters, they are very clear, in fact crystal - Orion through these presents many deep, somewhat turquoise gem clusters. Many far of distant tiny specs magnify to bright galaxy-like constellations with many, many more stars.

Whilst looking at Jupiter have you also looked at Uranus which is very nearby?

No, really? Where should I look? I would love to see this. I am still starting out, but I've got my atlas and all etc.

These links helped me find Neptune and Uranus:

SkyandTelescope.com - Planets - How to Find Uranus and Neptune

SkyandTelescope.com - Observing Highlights - Uranus and Neptune in 2010

Found them relatively easily through my binoculars, but I don't remember any give away signs that they were planets rather than stars, although I only looked for long enough to identify them in my binos, then the finder scope and finally the big gun. Neptune has a distinctive colour through my 12" and is a bit too fat to be a star. Uranus was great in my 12". Obvious disk, although no detail - I loved watching it drift by. Jupiter is blinding.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I love my 16x50 bins too. I picked 'em up in a second hand shop about 40 years ago dead cheap. I keep them handy just so I can pop out the back door just for a swift scout round.

I keep wondering whether to get a modern pair. They'd probably be lighter and maybe better quality now, I don't know.

i love watching jupiter as well. my tiny binoculars still bring out the 4 G moons and since i am still new to this hobby I have to study the details of this more but will be nice to buy a larger set of binoculars. i like wide field of view and would like advice on that if any has some.

:)

Hey.

I also can see Jupiter through my balcony which is facing south, but unfortunately, only with my naked eyes because I don't have binoculars yet.

But after reading your post I got really excited because I am planing to buy the Skymaster binoculars too, only that they're the 25x70 "version".

I do enjoy using my binoculars but find it a bit of a pain having to keep adjusting the focus on both eyes. I was viewing Jupiter last night and I could just make out one of the bands which the conditions must have been perfect last night as I don't recall ever being able to make out the bands in the past. Has anyone else been able to make out any subtle detail through binoculars ??? I only have 20 x 60's but was thinking about getting some 15 x 70's from FLO while they are on offer.

SPACEBOY

• 2 weeks later...

I have a revelation 15 X 70 binocular which is virtually same as Celestron Skymaster. The Jupitor's moons are very easy but the surface details (even the Northern Band) is not available due to the brightness of disk and the hand shake. A sturdy tripod might help though.

Archived