SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone else sitting under clouds?

mark7331

The forecasts can say clear but that means "mostly clear in the time period". In other words - your guess is as good as mine. :D

Well, I'm not going to comment on the quality of the Met Office forecasts....

But as the problem seems to be that you/we are trying to use forecasts intended for the general public, do you know of any astronomy specific forecasting sites?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really think that there is such a distinction between general and astronomy forecasts. A satellite feed is the same whatever you're going to use it for. The only difference is that astronomy reports include seeing, which is akin to visibility - both which are subjective and therein lies the problem. You have to make an informed choice of who's interpretation you believe. None of them are that good so I just stick to satellite feeds.

do you know of any astronomy specific forecasting sites?

MetCheck do an astronomy forecast with seeing data which is in my experience inaccurate. It's not a free service either.

If you have a local airfield they collect weather data and through Welcome to Skylink-Pro you can have a look. It's realtime and can be useful to gauge the seeing and air quality.

Mark

Almost WITHIN Clouds? <G> But dodging heavy showers (above N.Wales coast) during the day, while helping "tame landscaper" put up fences, lay patios and... foundations to a much anticipated roll-off roof observatory (Wahey!). The night skies have been largely <ahem> forgotten, for quite a while... :D

Almost WITHIN Clouds? <G> But dodging heavy showers (above N.Wales coast) during the day, while helping "tame landscaper" put up fences, lay patios and... foundations to a much anticipated roll-off roof observatory (Wahey!). The night skies have been largely <ahem> forgotten, for quite a while... :D

Rest assured: when the observatory is ready, there will be two weeks of solid clouds:(

its called the new kit effect

Just checked the forecast again for this week... it's totally changed. Now it says clear skies with excellent visibility here every night this week... which is nice.

So did mine, now it says cloudy tonight and partly cloudy tomorrow night, yesterday it was clear skies both nights. :D

Archived