Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone else sitting under clouds?

mark7331

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partly cloudy here, with upper level wave cloud and some lower patches - nice and warm though. But it is daytime here!

I hope your cloud clears and get a good session - it's a real pain when you set it all up and don't get to use it.:D

Been ding some DSLR imaging of the Pelican and just moved over to M33 also tried a few AVI's of the big lad only to find out they have not been saved to the external HHD :D:mad::eek:

though on second thoughts I haven't processed the ones I took on the 2nd or 8th yet

Steve

I was hoping to try out the new 8 and 12.5mm EP's tonight, but by the time I'd got the scope aligned, the clouds rolled in. I did manage to try the new Ultima with the Rev 32mm EP, though. A great improvement over the SW Barlow, no loss of light or quality and more AFOV. Really pleased with it. I wanted to get the Hyperion on Jupiter too, but I guess there's plenty of time for that.

bbc weather site thats where mine came from..then search your area..

Ok, so is this the bit of the BBC website where you type in the town you're in and get a little weather graphic for the weather that day/night? Or a little breakdown with symbols every 3 hours?

I'm only asking because I have a feeling the problem is that the BBC website is geared towards the general public e.g. a little bit of high cloud isn't going to block out the sun, so that is classed as sunny. I little bit of high cloud at night is irrelevant to most people but is disastrous for us astronomers.

Just a thought.

Ok, so is this the bit of the BBC website where you type in the town you're in and get a little weather graphic for the weather that day/night? Or a little breakdown with symbols every 3 hours?

I'm only asking because I have a feeling the problem is that the BBC website is geared towards the general public e.g. a little bit of high cloud isn't going to block out the sun, so that is classed as sunny. I little bit of high cloud at night is irrelevant to most people but is disastrous for us astronomers.

Just a thought.

Very hazy high cloud was in an out all night here so far, packing in just doing some darks before turning in for the night, was doing 5 min subs of M27 but the last seven or so were affected by the high cloud coming in. :D

I think you are right about the BBC weather site, but that probably goes for most of them. Even the local airfield cloud detectors don't pick that thin transparent high stuff up.

Flat out wind and rain here in Orkney :D For the first time I have all my bits togeather to have a bash at astrophotography and...clouds clouds cloud!!!

Well we had one cracking night on Friday, best I have seen for a while but where was I?....the pub :eek: If I knew it was going to be that good I would of picked the scope over the pints! lol

BBC says rubbish all week for me too :)

hope you all have better luck than me.

Michael

Same high hazy clouds for me too MarkF. Made it impossible to get focus so I packed up about 2.

Had a good night here Thursday Michael, took some shots with my new scope and nearly fell of my chair! So much better than with the 6SE! Of course now I've seen what the scope can do it's going to be cloudy for the next 1000 years! :D Sorry!!

Mr George the forecasts I use are a combination of BBC and the MetOffice. I then cross reference them to the satellite image feeds of the MetOffice and sat24. This generally gives a good indication but it's difficult to guage the speed that clouds are moving on the satellite so I ended up waiting and waiting. The forecasts can say clear but that means "mostly clear in the time period". In other words - your guess is as good as mine. :eek:

Archived