NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from 'Light Polluted' Reading, UK.

FarSide

I just thought I’d drop in and say hello. My names Michael and I’ve been very much into astronomy for quite a number of years now, but only within reading books, not practically. Having prised myself from my sofa, I just bought myself a 5” Skywatcher Evostar 120 (EQ-3) and joined my local astronomy society, at last getting in on the action.

As you can imagine, being located in the centre of a town full of light is about as helpful as having a chocolate tea cup, but still, worth every moment. Looking forward to meeting and conversing with you in the coming future!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, Andy. Hope you're managing okay, friend. I can barely view Polaris from where i am unless i take my kit up to a local feild a little out of town so i see where you are coming entirely. Hopefully the new filter should block out a fair amount of it!

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

I also live in the city with the dreaded light pollution but you can still get to see objects. Astro societies are useful in connecting you with people who may themselves live in a darker location that you might be able to pop along to or get together with other members to find a dark viewing site in anticipation of the long dark winter's evenings.

Wishing you clear skies for your next observing!!

James

Hi Michael.

Welcome to SGL.

I sympathise with the pollution having suffered to the point of not using a scope at a previous house.

However many councils are having the 'green' and '£££' sticks waved at them now and starting dimming or turn off schemes. Keep at 'em along with the rest of SGL!

Hey Farside- I'm in Basingstoke and my north sky has a lovely glow from Reading :-)

Enjoy SGL

Ha ! I live in Riseley, about slap-bang between the two and I get sky glows from both. Other than that I get nice dark, but not the darkest, skies... Helps when there's no local streeet lights.

Of course you could always try up through Stoke hill - it ges quite dark up there.

Welcome to SGL .

Mike

Hi Michael and welcome,

I'm at the other end of the A329M in Bracknell. There are some sites around which are not too bad. Head up the A4 towards Maidenhead or for the A30 as there are some good spots around Yateley.

Happy skies

Regards Tony

Archived