NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best time to put scope out

Here is probably another silly question for you guys, but I just want to claify it.

At what time of day would you guys suggest putting out my scope before an observing session?

An hour before, or am I alright leaving it outside all day (with aperture covers on)? Would doing this cause any problems to the scope ie excessive dew build up or even spider webs :spiderman:

Andy

I'll put mine out just before sundown, as soon as Polaris is visible I'll polar align it and then go and make a nice meal for the wife and open her a bottle of wine (Brownie points!) Do the ironing, err OK not the ironing.

For a Newtonian you want to allow at least an hour depending on aperture..Bigger the scope the more cool down it needs (10 mins per inch of aperture).

Obviously depending on the weather I'll get the scopes out ASAP to let them cool down. If I'm doing solar and the weather's looking good then they'll stay out all afternoon and evening.

Dew is the enemy this time of year, you can leave the scope out for 20 mins or an hour, you'll still be dewed up. So it's dew heaters or a hairdryer.

The scopes were out from 6.30pm last night, they were bone dry all night till 04.30am, that was very unusual! The previous time they were attacked by a Babyliss 1200 every 10 mins!

I'll put mine out just before sundown, as soon as Polaris is visible...

The real reason for Greg's early start is that he lives in a dark-sky area and if he leaves it too late, its difficult to pick out Polaris!

I do a fair bit of observing under his sky and I confess that sometimes I go inside and switch the kitchen light on just to wreck my night vision so that I can then go back outside and identify the constellations :oops:

Poor chap :)

For a Newtonian, reckon on about 10mins cool-down time per inch of aperture.

Your 8" Newtonian ought to be put out about 1.5 hours before needed. Better still, keep it in a shed or garage.

Yep, a shed/garage is the easy way to do it.

if I'm planning ahead I put my scope out as soon as the spot it's going into is out of the sun.

Usually I lay the tube horizontal and then remove the tube cover. It's a newt so dew isn't normally a problem - I never uncover the finder till i'm ready to use it, and then cover it back up again once I found what i was loking for... Dew is bad where I am.

Ant

if I'm planning ahead I put my scope out as soon as the spot it's going into is out of the sun.

Usually I lay the tube horizontal and then remove the tube cover. It's a newt so dew isn't normally a problem - I never uncover the finder till i'm ready to use it, and then cover it back up again once I found what i was loking for... Dew is bad where I am.

Ant

Thats a really good tip there Ant. Thanks for that.

And thanks again to everyone else.

Andy

PS Do we have our 500th member yet

I wish i could leave my scope outside 24/7, unfortuanetly i have nigerian immigrants next door and a family of irish gypsies behind me, overlooking my garden and to top it off they have just got a caravan which sits at the end of my fence, housing another gypsy family! :)

I agree with Greg's strategy.

Put the scope out as early as possible and align to Polaris.

My scope lives in an extension on the back of the house so it is nearer ambient temp than if it is in the house.

I usually find 30 mins is fine for the cool down.

If your scope is at room temp and you put it out too late it never really gets a chance to reach ambient temp as the air cools as fast as the scope.

Cheers

Ian

Archived