Sky map/star chart books

For a long time I have been exclusively relying on a few laminated printouts, some extremely detailed maps from the internet and Stellarium - and have found that I have got extremes; the detailed maps are quite difficult to read under a red light, and the less detailed map is rather unsatisfying.

Can anyone please recommend me a great sky map book - something I can take outside, with the usual messier objects plus more challenging ones?

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to any suggestions. :o

At the other end of the physical scale, the Wil Tirion SkyAtlas 2000. I simply cannot imagine life without this. It is definitive. I have the paper version which is now over ten years old and going strong despite the level of use it gets here.

Olly

You might like to have a look at a free program called TUBA, it is obtainable by searching under Phil Harrington, a complete set of star maps created after the publication of his book,"Touring the Universe Through Binoculars", the program enables you to produce your own maps with as much, or as little information, black and white or coloured, stars down to mag +11 if needed, they can then be printed out and stored in a clear document pocket for use outside, I use these in conjunction with my Pocket Sky Atlas, an excellent publication as has already been said.

John.

One I have always like for the charts and detail balance is The Monthly Sky Guide.

Each month there is a chart of the sky, and then a selected constellation. The constellation diagram include that main stars (as expected) and also goves the DSO's, Messier, NGC etc, local to it. So you can go through everything in one constellation. All easy as its all in one general area.

Latest edition (Cygnus on the front) has a decent guide to the moon at the front.

It depends.

SkyAtlas2000 for sitting at a table seeing big bits of sky at large scale.

Guide on my PC and Netbook when I want to do serious planning or play with astro ideas, or when observing at home.

Collins Gem Stars (possibly the most under-rated paper atlas) and/or an ancient Palm Tungsten running Planetarium and 2Sky for use "in the field". I also have Planetarium on my Pre, but the screen is a tad small for field use and the "night mode" doesn't do the entire screen -- useful for ad-hoc stuff when I have nothing else with me.

SkyAtlas 2000 - when room is available! good for planning, I find the size quite friendly

The Cambridge Star Atlas - when less room is available

Starry night pro - excellent for seeing what is visible from my location at any point in time, but not so keen on taking the lap top outside these days - not that it would affect my night vision much!

Sky Atlas 2000 is very good as well and highly recommended by me too! I have an A3 version which is beautiful to behold! Nothing better than pouring over it on a cloudy night and imagining what's is behind the clouds.

Sky Atlas 2000 is very good as well and highly recommended by me too! I have an A3 version which is beautiful to behold! Nothing better than pouring over it on a cloudy night and imagining what's is behind the clouds.

Exactly! However, mine has been going outside for years and is none the worse for it. You do need a table and maybe something to hold it flat in a breeze.

Olly

I like the maps in the S & T Pocket Atlas for a field guide, but I would have preferred it if it dealt the sky in horizontal (azimuthal or right ascention) slices, like a road atlas, rather than the vertical slice approach. it means that sprawling constellations like Draco get split in an odd manner over non-consecutive pages.

That said, it's still the one I use outside, thought I have bigger atlases that I prefer indoors.

You might like to have a look at a free program called TUBA

I've downloaded this and must say I'm impressed. While it claims to be for bin users only, it is configurable to show quite a low level of detail.

Thanks for the link John.

funnily enough I got a copy of the 18th edition at the weekend for £6. I may have paid too much possibly but I like to support this local used bookshop as he doesn't tend to rip you off on prices and has some good stuff from time to time.

not used it in anger yet!

Archived