£400 to spend, thoughts on these choices

Hi all, a newbie here so drinks to all.

I've got £400 to spend and need an easy to use device, for both me and the wife.

2 clear options seem to be:

SKYMAX 127 SynScan AZ GOTO, and

Celestron NexStar 127 SLT Maksutov

Can you give me your thoughts on these and/ or other options I can consider? We bought a basic scope some years back but now want to revisit given the kids have left the nest.

I know there is lots to learn so we want a reasonable place to start.

Tim

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi Tom

when you say easy to use what criteria are you using to define this?

the things to consider are size, portability, tracking/GOTO, photography (not really possible seriously with your budget), setting up time, targets, are you both able bodied etc?

if you could give a little more detail on these then we could probably provide more recommendations.

I believe that the scopes you mention are both very able scopes and will give good results, especially with planets, moon and double stars. but if for example you were hoping to see faint objects like galaxies in more detail then more aperture would be beneficial. with your budget you could get more aperture but there would be less 'automation'.

I have never used GOTO or tracking mounts but some say they are very good although if you set it to look for a target that is too faint to see with this (127mm) aperture then you won't be able to see it even though you are in the right place - sometimes only more aperture and maybe filters will allow certain targets to be visible.

other considerations are eyepieces etc but the ones that come with the scopes will be OK to get you going.

ps sorry - and a warm welcome to the group - I would rarely buy anything without seeking opinions of others on here so you've done the right thing :mad:

consider buying used - you get a lot more value for money - there is a for sale section on SGL but you need to add 50 valid posts before you can 'see' it. just ask a few questions, add comments etc and it soon mounts up. a good way to learn too! ;)

Yes, the Skymax was recommended to me and was top of my list. However, recently people have been telling me that the Celestron is far easier to set up and get going with no loss of viewing capability and I'm now swaying that way.

However, Moonshane's comments about getting a larger aperture is well taken and I'm wondering about holding out for a 6" scope rather than 5". Is the a considerable improvement in viewing for the extra size?

Tim

Welcome Tim!

I have a Skymax 127. If your not worried about seeing deep sky objects the Skymax 127 is brilliant....compact, easy to set up and shows great views of the Moon and Planets plus you can get very good Planetary imaging results using a webcam. The Celestron scope is basically the same scope just different branding.

Stuart.

hi there,newbie myself been trolling the site and asking the same question............most answers came back as go for a dobsonian as you get more light catching capability for your cash:D i myself am erring towards a skywatcher 200p at around 265 quid,thats 8 inches worth in old money:D heres the link.... Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian and by the way welcome

Sorry, I should also add that important items are portability and GOTO. And of course I also want a scope that will see everything there is out there. Having said that, a Hubble is just a bit out of my price range.

So its a 5" or 6" something I feel, any advice welcome. Btw, I know photography is off the menu at this price range.

I have a Skywatcher 127 and it is a good scope although the GOTO is fiddly. However since acquiring a 200mm Dobsonian the Skywatcher has been largely relegated to use as a solar scope. The point others make is key - what do you want to use it for? The Skywatcher is a great planetary and double star scope but if you also want to see the faint fuzzies I would suggest you have a look at a 150 or 200 mm Dob.

Good luck

Frank

The trouble is combing the need for GOTO with a £400 budget limits the aperture of the scope to 5" which means nice views of the moon and planets but rather more limited capabilities on deep sky objects.

The same budget could buy you a 10" aperture dobsonian which, while needing you to be the GOTO, captures 4x as much light meaning much more impressive views of deep sky objects (and very nice views of the planets and the moon as well).

It's a quandary but, personally, I like impressive views so I'd go for the aperture and make the effort to find my way around the sky to the interesting objects.

Hi TPC5 I to will have a budget of around £400 and I'm heading in the dob direction again even though I have already owned one. I worry with less aperture that when I've observed the planets I'll want the extra light gathering ability to see more, for example resolving more stars in globular/open clusters.

In my personal opinion Dobsonians are the best starter scopes, lots of aperture, easy to use and to set up ;)

But it's also worth pointing out that a Mak will easily beat a bigger Newt in terms of Lunar and planetary viewing.

e.g. My 100mm Mak will beat the pants off an Explorer 130p in terms of the clarity and sharpness of planetary and lunar views. I don't even bother looking at planets with a 130p now.

I love my skymax 127. It's been perfect for me as a total beginner, It's small, easy to store and set up, things are the right way up when you look through the ep, planetary and lunar images are spectacular and the big + for me - No Collimation Required!

For what its worth I am a recent convert to astronomy. I went for a skyliner 200 dob and I think it has to be the best all round option. So far it's managed planets (first light was Saturn...) lots of clusters, M51 just, stunning views of the moon, all pretty much as it came out of the box. Spend the spare cash on a collimator, a 2X barlow and a decent 10mm eyepiece. I'm lucky in that another hobby is engineering so th emount fetures new handles for steering, a PTFE bushed azimuth pivot, an az setting circle (in brass!!) and a little shelf for a tiny notebook.

Hi again. OK, I've been reading up and talking to suppliers about what I would like, what's available and my budget (which is slowly going out of the window).

I really do want a Goto mount but mindful of the comments about exposure. As a result I'm now looking at the following, do any of you have these or thoughts/ experience of them?

Celestron 6SE

Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT)

Thanks

Tim

But it's also worth pointing out that a Mak will easily beat a bigger Newt in terms of Lunar and planetary viewing.

e.g. My 100mm Mak will beat the pants off an Explorer 130p in terms of the clarity and sharpness of planetary and lunar views. I don't even bother looking at planets with a 130p now.

I have to disagree with this. A bigger scope will show you more than a smaller scope, it's plain physics. The Mak may show you a more asthetically pleasing view but it won't reveal more detail than a bigger scope. I'd suggest that the 130p may be out of collimation.

Tony..

Hi again. OK, I've been reading up and talking to suppliers about what I would like, what's available and my budget (which is slowly going out of the window).

I really do want a Goto mount but mindful of the comments about exposure. As a result I'm now looking at the following, do any of you have these or thoughts/ experience of them?

Celestron 6SE

Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT)

Thanks

Tim

Hi there Tim.

Being in the same boat as you I have been thinking over these questions myself. But I would echo the ones who are pointing you towards the Dob.

Reason why is that for you money it'll provide the largest aperture for you pennies, easy to set up, rock solid mount so views won't be shaky. Also if you want help in finding objects then for the money of the two scopes you have mentioned you can buy a Push-To Dob.

ORION USA SKYQUEST XT8 Intelliscope Dobsonian Telescope with Object Locator - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Or

ORION USA SKYQUEST XT10 Intelliscope Dobsonian Telescope with Object Locator - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

This one ex show room so the price could be more for a new one, but its 10 inchs of aperture. The only down side is having to nudge the scope to keep your target in the FOV.

So it gives you a guided and manual ways to stargaze.

But as with all things its what you are happiest using. The only thing that you would have to think about getting with the Celestrons is a Dew shield and a power Tank. Battery life is not too good and the GoTo is reported to work better with the power tanks.

Cheers Jason ;)

P.S. With the 8inch Push To it leaves you some pennies to play with for EP's Barlow and any other goodies you wish to splurge on.

P.P.S. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=31&pg=2 Full GoTo 12 inch Dob comes in under or about what a new Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT). If thats too much Scope then theres ten and 8 inch models to look over. Some extras will be needed but depending on which size you go for then you should have enough to cover their costs also.

Hi TPC - I see you may be upping the anti and are looking at the 6SE (very nice little scope) and the CPC 800 (stunning scope with spot on tracking and superb optics).

If you're dead set on the goto then then the CPC is brilliant - gets there first time every time. The gps makes it so easy to set up - just switch on for 15-20 mins till it gets a satellite lock and you're away.

8" is a great size to start with as you'll see most everything with it and it is particularly sharp and contrasty with planets and moon. They retail around £1500 (or around a grand s/h).

A couple of caveats though - it's bigger than it looks in pics and heavy (portability may be an issue) - and for photography of dso's you'll need a wedge and a reducer (not cheap).

I'd advise you get to see one set up before you decide. It's an investment and not a beginner scope - but it makes begining a cinch lol

I'd aim at that as maybe a second scope if you take to the hobby. With your budget I'd be looking to start at 6" on an equatorial mount with tracking (none goto), or an 8" dob (no tracking), or maybe second hand for larger aperture.

Hope that helps.

Once you have upped the budget to the price of a CPC800 you might do well to start thinking again from scratch.

The positives with the fork mounted SCT;

- compact, decent aperture, quite good optics, great mount for visual convenience, good for planetary imaging, hold collimation quite well.

The negatives;

- long focal length limits wide field viewing, dewing is extremely persistent and needs dewheaters to resolve, deep sky photography is extremely difficult in practice whatever the adverts say. Non-separable so you move mount and scope together, making unit heavier.

If that sounds like your bag then you could do a lot worse. As is often rightly pointed out by members, the smaller go-to scopes can 'go to' about thirty-five thousand database objects which are too faint to see once gone-to!

An 8 inch, however, is beginning to do justice to the go-to mount.

Olly

Archived