Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

just seen jupiter for the first time

Daniel-K

:D just got up and its very nice outside been waiting a few weeks for jupiter to come up above my house at a reasonble time just saw her almighty belt and 5 moons pritty gob smacked

Always amazing when you see it for the first time. Don't think you saw 5 moons, though!

Always amazing when you see it for the first time. Don't think you saw 5 moons, though!

Four moons maybe, but yea had my very own first view of Jupiter last week through my SW 200p and its was "blumming brilliant" to coin the phrase of one "Ron Weasley" :D:)

must have been a distant star then

I think that's right, last time I looked I seem to recall there was a star just above (actually below - using a reflector) the planet which made me look twice. it looked very like another moon but not on the same plane.

well done on your first sighting - it's an awesome sight! don't forget that Uranus is close to Jupiter currently. if you look in your finder there's what appears to be two reasonably bright stars off to the right. I think it's the second one which is a bluish colour which is actually Uranus. if you look it's an obvious disc.

Very nice ....

Been planet spotting for the first time in my life too recently in my newly acquired SW 150/750P ... just a couple of weeks back Jupiter and the 4 moons was the first planet I ever observed in a telescope, but I have also been checking out the super bright Venus lately, a very red but tiny dot of Mars and the "piece de resistance" was a stunningly clear Saturn last week with its lovely rings.

Saturn was the one that really took me by surprise, I really was very impressed and quite excited with the view we had of it, as were the wife and kids ... nice moment to share with them :)

Last night Jupiter seemed amazingly clear despite other things seeming to be very hazy, could see the moons and even the red bands running across very clearly, not managed to spot the big red dot yet though ...

Think I saw Uranus too last night (are we still allowed to chortle childishly at that poor planet's name?), but the "kit" 10mm EP bundled with my scope does not seem to be very good when doubled up on a 2x Barlow, so it was not so clear and so I cannot be too sure ... more [expensive] eyepieces are on the wishlist already :D

Archived