Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anyone seen DSO colour visually?

winterlight

If we're talking DSOs in general and not just nebulae then I find red (super)giants always stand out very clearly in open clusters in an 8" or larger 'scope - I always like the striking red giant in the middle of M103, for example.

For nebulae, i'd agree with the others - I find M42 a clear green tint in a large Dob, nothing in anything else.

I think alot of it is down to having seen colour images of different objects in magazines, books and on the internet so our brain tries to find colour where usually there isnt any.

Amazing that my eyes can play tricks on me like that. I did assume that was the case...:D

I swear M27 seems more colourful than other objects, but now you all mention it, I reckon it is probably a mental illusion, as photos of the planetary nebula are normally so distinctly green. If you don't mind some charlatanism, how about using a pale green filter next time you view M42 lol

Archived