NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders - first impressions

Moonshane

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

had this book awhile now,great call shane.as a relative newbie i find this book invaluable for finding targets(especially the right way up finder views)and also black dot on white is easier to pick out in red light conditions:icon_salut:

• 5 months later...

I'd like to add my vote for Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders

Some nights I have only a small area of sky clear of cloud or LP, this book tells me everything I need to know about that patch and I can have fun ,my messier, dso and double star books are great but realistically now i often point at the "best" area of sky and that's where this book scores for me. there may be better books but i can't think of any

regards

Steve

quick update, partially copied from another thread (http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/151892-sky-telescopes-pocket-sky-atlas-review.html#post1911751), which reflects further thoughts after some time in the field.

still loving this book, it's amazing value and superb to use.

I have used it regularly in the field since purchase and it has until now been my main reference. the maps are excellent and the images really do help, especially with open clusters.

I like the descriptive text as this provides some insight into the location and visual impression gained at certain magnifications and with a 10" aperture. Their skies are a lot darker than mine though as I often cannot see the objects in the finder where they say it's obvious.

if I had a negative criticism then it would be the size. It's quite a heavy tome and sometimes tricky to hold with one hand at the scope. A small table would be better.

also, I have noticed that whilst the limp back allows the book to stay open on a page, it can have a tendency to crack a little; the book is still well intact but may have a life of a few years only if you are fussy. I am not about field guides. This size issue is one of the main reasons I bought the smaller spiral bound book along with the additional targets presented. e.g. In Cassiopeia there are four NGC open clusters around the W in the bigger book and thirteen in the Pocket Sky Atlas.

The Illostrated Guide is a fabualous book. Very representative of what you can expect to see at what magnification, altough I,m guessing you would have to compensate for brightness/detail if you had less aperture/ more LP than the 10" used

Bart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A/W is an excellect all round reference guide which I think is aimed just right for the developing astronomer.

The only problem is the following phrase keeps coming up at practically every turn of the page....

"In our 10" reflector at xx magnification ............"

This can only lead to aperture fever!! - I recently became infected and have just purchased a preloved - guess what - 10" reflector!!

All I need now are some clear skies - I know that my skies won't be as dark as the authors but at least I hope that I will be in with a chance of seeing something that they are describing!!

BTW if any Orion Optics GX250 owner reads this - and they have an owners' handbook - I would be very grateful if they could PM me with a view to perhaps emailing me a scanned copy.

A great book - and still extemely valuable even if you haven't got that 10" reflector!! :smiley: :smiley:

My other favourites are TLAO and the Pocket Sky Atlas.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived