Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory Build Progress

blinky

Looks like I am going to convert my apex roof hut to roll off then buy a smaller hut for the warm room. Both huts would have a normal hut for on them so water running off one too tithe other would do no harm. I will try for some piccies and maybe a diagram tonight to explain better.

EDIT:

Think I may be changing my mind again - If I got one hut and wanted to split it in 2, what size would you guys say for the scope room and what for the scope room? I was looking at Astronerds obsy and he has a 9X7 split in 2, I am thinking this would be pretty good but as it's a big thing for me I want to make sure I get everything correct, the size being the most important!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like I am going to convert my apex roof hut to roll off then buy a smaller hut for the warm room. Both huts would have a normal hut for on them so water running off one too tithe other would do no harm. I will try for some piccies and maybe a diagram tonight to explain better.

EDIT:

Think I may be changing my mind again - If I got one hut and wanted to split it in 2, what size would you guys say for the scope room and what for the scope room? I was looking at Astronerds obsy and he has a 9X7 split in 2, I am thinking this would be pretty good but as it's a big thing for me I want to make sure I get everything correct, the size being the most important!

What scope and mount are you planning on using?

Ah, I see!

Anyway, I went to a local shed building company and asked them to see what they could do. They said it's about £500 for a 9X7 shed (I think that was the size I asked for!) and they are going to see what they can do about the roll off bit. I would rather pay somebody to do a proper job that me try and fail miserably! Might still come to that though, they dont know if they can do it and I dont know how much they will charge.

Nope - measured it and I feel it's cutingit a little bit fine!

So.... Now thinkingo of either 10X6 or 11X6 or maybe 11X7

So, assuming worst case i.e. the 10X6 - that would plan out as

Scope room 1.8m X 2m

Warm room 1.8m X 1m

It's a small warm room but just do-able! I think if I can get a 11X6 hut built with a roll off roof that would be the pefect balance between taking up all the garden but still giving me a decent scope/obs with a decent little warm room - an 11X6 hut would mean the wam room room could be 1ft bigger or 1.8 by 1.3m.

I have taken a piccie of the proposed 11X6 layout and will post it shortly

Mine's 11x8 external, which works out about 7.5 square internal for scope and 3x7.5 for warm room. I think you'll find 6 foot external tight for the scope and would go for 7 foot minimum.

We got a local shed manufacturer to mod one of their off-the-shelf models. It was a mistake. It looks good, but we've had real problems with the roof. Its splayed and shrunk and we've had to spend loads of time, energy, and quite a bit of money, remedying the problems. I'd suggest buying the BYO plans from the states and giving those to your shed manufacturer and/or very tightly specifying what you want.

On size and wall height, the further from your walls your scope is the higher the walls can be without interfering. Another tip I picked up was to set your scope up and then do a mock up of the size and wall height using poles/sheets or similar - it'll give you a much better feel for things.

Helen

From what it saw when laying it out, the SCT will turn in a 1.2m circle, that was why I thought 10 or 11X6 I suppose it's the only one I will be getting so maybe 11X7will be better? I dont want to take too much of the garden away form the kids!

I was thinking more high tech than a window Peter - small camera and an old Monitor to display whats happening in the obs!

Its good to have cams in there.. I use wireless CCTV with IR Night vision I have Overt and Covert (pinhole style). I use two recievers in the house one in the living room which also feeds a recorder... and one in the bedroom...

Peter...

Too big, is much better than too small. My builds aren't all that large, but there is room to store everything needed in lockable Cabinets, Laptop Table, etc. All under Wireless IR. CCTV surveillance.

Ron.

Yeah but you don't have 3 kids running about and wanting to play football! Just on the way home now and I am actually starting to have second thoughts. Wherever I place it (it has to go in a corner so as not o take over the whole garden) I will loose a bit of view. I did finally manage to take some piccies last night of the garden so will post them once I am home.

OK, here is a picture of my garden - the big arrow indicates where south is. I have tried to draw a box where I will be putting the obsy and the metal poles are a mockup of the obs.

Do you think this is an OK place for it or as I am getting rid of the big tree/bush in the other corner would it be best here?

post-13107-133877471376_thumb.jpg

Depending on how the view is to the left of the picture, I'd put it where the tree is, if you can get rid of the tree. That would give you free view to the south and towards west, probably also south-east. That's where most of the good things are... ;-)

Archived