SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatory Build Progress

blinky

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blinky, it may be an idea to position your camera at your proposed observatory positions and take an all round panoramic view. These can be printed onto ordinary paper and literally glued together to give a good panorama - make them a full circle if you can! From these you can quickly see the pro's and con's of each position.

Put the camera exactly where the top of the mount would be! NOT at your own eye level - the few degrees difference over fences etc can make all the difference!.

It may be worth putting a coloured stick in the N,S,E &W positions to help.

After all this effort with my own build I put the observatory in the place that I had first thought of!!!!! - At least I knew that it really was the best all round position within the confines of my site.

NEVER give a chainsaw to someone so keen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No trees left and he will even cut the grass!!

Who owns the field behind you? You could put an entrance gate in your wall, and build the Obs. right behind it.

Only if the owner will rent the ground for a nominal fee.:)

A Sky Shed Pod would be Ideal for you, if they weren't so expensive.

Ron.

I would need a better look at it but from what I can imagine there are 2 possibilities as to hjow this would work Craig, 1st way you will need enough to go the length of the roof, both sides and the 2nd, you would need enough to go twice the legth of the roof, again both sides.....

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the tracks that are used on the Nano Obs, it's the "Angular" type. You can get it from loads of places I got mine from here:

Sliding Gates - Steel Product Supplies

They do the U-Groove type as well

You might want to have a look at this bottom of this thread, someone has posted up a design of what looks like exactly what you were talking about!

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/113106-observatory-advice-ideas.html

Sliding Gates.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Well, work should finally start on this tomorrow (although I have my doubts as the weather is supposed to be bad).

Looks like the Scope room will be 2m X 1.8m and the warm room 2m X 1.3m

We are having the apex roof of the scope room slide back over the warm room(with a small overhang).

I will be insulating the warm room but am wondering what to put over the insulation - the warm room walls, what do I cover them with - chipboard or plasterboard?

post-13107-133877487251_thumb.jpg

post-13107-133877487256_thumb.jpg

post-13107-133877487262_thumb.jpg

post-13107-133877487267_thumb.jpg

what do I cover them with - chipboard or plasterboard?

I'd go for chipboard that's been pre treated for damp areas, its usally green and sold as flooring. Plasterboard in a damp environment would soon disintigrate.

Saying that tho you can buy plasterboard with a foil vapor barrier on one side.

I'd go for some thin plywood craig, plaster board in a area with risk of damp is a no no, as has already been said.

As for chipboard, not if it was me, it is quite thick, and heavy.

I'd go for a thin-ish plywood. Good moisture resistance and light weight.

Gary

I have used 3mm hardboard to line my warmroom.

Its very cheap, which helps because you do not realise just how many sheets you need when you start to line.

I used 8 sheets (2400mm x 1220mm x 3mm) :icon_salut:

http://stargazerslounge.com/1534377-post98.html

Hopefully painting this week so I will let you know how well it paints and post pics on my thread.

Wayne

Yeah:hello2: finally started today:D:D

So far as you will see, all that has been done is the base. The 'scope room should work out to be 2m X 2m and the warm room will be about 1.3m X 2m with a bi-folding door between the 2 rooms.

I have now laid out my plumbing pipe which will be used to run cables through (I also ran a few bits of string through the pipes to pull the cables through, I have also ran lengths of mains cable to supply the plugs etc.

post-13107-133877487739_thumb.jpg

post-13107-133877487744_thumb.jpg

post-13107-13387748775_thumb.jpg

post-13107-133877487755_thumb.jpg

post-13107-13387748776_thumb.jpg

Archived