Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory Build Progress

blinky

Ok, the missus has finally lost her marbles and OK'd an obsy:hello2:

After much debate I am thinking a roll of roof design would be better than a dome for the following reasons:

a. No need to complicate it with a motorised dome as ideally I would like to be able to retire to bed and leave it for several hours imaging

b. The ability to have a 'warm room'

So I have a few questions to ask from you folks who already have a similar setup. The setup I currently have and TBH dont really see changing soon is an HEQ5 with an 8"SCT

What size would you recommend? Both for the total size of the hut and also what size of warm room and scope room? I was thinking an 8X8 shed?

What shed do I get? A pent shed looks easiest to convert to roll off - is that what you would recommendatory?

Do you reckon I would be best to go to a garden shed maker and get them to make it up, buy a shed or make my own from timber?

Oh and is there anything else I need to consider that I have missed out? I think we are pretty serious about this and are hoping to get things moving in a couple of months - the garage is getting converted into an office, so that means the bikes, car roof box, tools etc will need to me moved to the hut I use for my astro gear, hence the Obsy for my astro gear to free up space in the hut.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pent shed means you have to decide which way you are going to roll the roof off, sideways... fore or aft. Either fore or aft is difficult because you're going to be either rolling off down hill or uphill. So sideways makes sense. So you need the size of the shed to one side of where you're going to situate it.

Got to admit the metal sheds go up a treat and if you knock up the base frame first you have a marker to put on the ground to set the shed foundations up. See what I did.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/109863-been-bit-busy.html

Given the chance of doing it again I'd probably go for an 8 X 7/8 as it gives you more distance from the wall edges to the scope, bearing in mind you need to have the scope as high as possible yet still allow the roof to roll off.

Regards

Keithp.

Give me a shout if you have any further questions.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a dome. With a Skyshed POD you have a 180 degree field of view so would not need to move the dome for quite a few hours. The half dome remaining does afford protection from the wind, stray lights and dew.

Dave

One thing that did occur to me while putting up the metal shed. It's modular type of design means I would be able to extend it and add a 'warm room' separate to the observing room. I'm a bit restricted in the site I chose, but quite happy with what I've got. The way the metal sheds go together though does leave lots of options open to extend at a later date.

Regards

Keithp

No warm room though Dave - and the cost does come into things as well.

I am thinking Pent roof rolling off sideways, I never thought about the height of the pier - you are saying it should be higher than normal? Makes sense I suppose but it's a nightmare lifting it up already, although I suppose it would be permanently setup? But then what about the one night a year I decide to do visual?

So many questions.......

I never thought about the height of the pier - you are saying it should be higher than normal?.

You need to consider how you're going to put the shed up. In my case, because I was using a metal shed with a roll off roof I knew I'd have to build a re-enforcing framework under the skin as the rigidity would be lost with the roof rolling off. Bearing that it mind I bought 2.7m corner posts for the frame so I could in effect jack the shed up and down to determine the ideal height for the walls in relation to the pier.

You need to work out whether you're going to adjust the pier to the shed wall height or adjust the shed wall height to the pier. In my case I knew I had adjustment in the frame I would build. So just blindly went ahead with the pier to take whatever I could think of I might upgrade to. After setting the pier in place I could then adjust how high I set the floor of the the shed in relation to the pier.

But in hindsight I'd still have gone for a bigger shed..but hey ho.. it works and I'm pleased with the small footprint. I've since modded the south side so I have unrestricted views over most of the south horizon I can see.

Regards

Keithp

Here's a link to the basic type I bought from Amazon

Trigano Deluxe Metal Apex Shed 6 x 6: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

There are larger sizes though, I'd probably go for an 8X8 now, :) but that's cause I got a 10" newt in there with me!!!

:)

Must admit though it might get a bit cold over winter. Probably going to set in some insulation later on in the year.

Regards

Keithp

I am now thinking about 2 sheds - side by side. One for the warm room and one for the obsy with the roll of roof. Might make it simpler to implement? Could always have a joining door between them?

I am going for an 8x8 pent shed (with side roll off) on my build. Some thoughts i have been through are as follows, and undoubtedly there are loads more that don't come to mind or just plain i haven't thought of yet

1, shop around for an off the shelf option that can be adapted to suit rather than making from scratch - i priced up a self made and materials blew me out pretty quickly.

2, obvious really, but watch your high side

3, bear in mind quality of timber, my first quote was £865, found someone else local who is quoting £470 for similar shed, and he'll cut a neat circle where i want it in the floor

4, i think that you will want at least 1m available in every direction from pier for scope movement as well as room for yourself

5, likely your base and pier will most likely be the same no matter your choice so shouldn't be an issue

6, re warm room, if i ever put one in, my intention would be to place it under the rails for the roll off roof, but in short-term, an 8x8 should be large enough to allow some space, if not fully comfortable; where would your door be as this will impinge on space

7, go as large as you can get away with

hope is of some help and not just adding to questions

[quote name=6' date=' re warm room, if i ever put one in, my intention would be to place it under the rails for the roll off roof, but in short-term, an 8x8 should be large enough to allow some space, if not fully comfortable; where would your door be as this will impinge on space

7, go as large as you can get away with

hope is of some help and not just adding to questions

Excellent idea, never thought of that:headbang:

I am using the space under the roll off for the strawberry patch as I can put netting up down the sides of the supports. But that is definitely the place to put the warm room....maybe next year...

Regards

Keithp

My modded wall is south, I can get down to 0 degrees for an arc of about ESE to WSW and thereafter 25/30 degrees anywhere else. Although my northern view is blocked a bit (neighbours leilandie, but not too much of a problem...they're dying off slowly).

Craig, I know being at work is an obstacle to building your own, as it takes a bit of time. However, if your woodworking skills are reasonably good, then consider building your own.

Plan what you want it size wise, draw out your plans. Ensure you make the support structure for the parked open roof strong enough.

The roof Ideally should roll to the North. The warm room, if you include one, needs to stay clear of the important areas of sky regarding your favourite targets. If any heat from it rises through the roof of it, you don't want it disturbing the starlight heading into your scope.

I'm pleased the good lady has finally relented, and gave her blessing for the Obs. I think every amateur who wants one, should have one.

Ron.:)

Andrew* Has suggested that it may be a good idea to have 2 sheds (prob Pent roof designs) but with one slightly higher than the other. The higher one would be the obs and it's roof would roll over the top of the other 'warm room' shed. That way I dont have to have the big long extensions for the roof to slide along as they would be on top of the warm room. Sound good?

I will also post some piccies of the proposed site along with N S E W on the image so we can decide the best location/viewpoint.

Andrew* Has suggested that it may be a good idea to have 2 sheds (prob Pent roof designs) but with one slightly higher than the other. The higher one would be the obs and it's roof would roll over the top of the other 'warm room' shed. That way I dont have to have the big long extensions for the roof to slide along as they would be on top of the warm room. Sound good?

I will also post some piccies of the proposed site along with N S E W on the image so we can decide the best location/viewpoint.

That's how Mine are Craig. The Meade roof slides to the front onto the rails, and If I want to use the EQ6/Mak/Newt. I slide the rear one over the Meade Obs.

When both are in place, the front roof overlaps the rear one. Both slope to the rear where rain runs off into a rain gutter, and on into a water butt.

This picture is prior to completion.

Ron.

post-13213-133877470986_thumb.jpg

Cool, thats given me quite a few ideas then! I already have a 2.1m by 2m hut that I think might become the obs and I will then get a smaller hut to take the warm room - with the obs roof sliding over the warm room one.

You don't need a seal between them. It just slides over the top- just means that instead of sliding on a big frame it slides along runners on the next hut bodes that make sense? Not sure I have explained it very well there!

When I built mine 4 years ago I found these the cheapest online at the time, their service was very good and delivered on time. Go for the better quality tongue & groove type which are more rigid and will last a lifetime. Go for the biggest you can afford as you will always want extra space for future upgrades, mine was 7 x 8 and now wished I'd gone bigger. You will need more space if your mount is a EQ so add an extra metre for working round the scope in any orientation, mine is quite cramped with the 250 newt but as I do mainly imaging its not a problem.

Make your run-off at the end with the most restricted sky view as the roof will add extra height to your skyline. Make sure its vermin proof underneath otherwise you will find they take a like to chewing thru cables

When the sliding roof is in the closed position, what stops water running off the fixed roof under the sliding roof and into the obs?

Both roofs should slope down to the rear. The rain falls off the closed one onto the fixed one, then is transported off the rear one into a rain gutter. At least that's how mine is, and it never gets a drop of water inside. And we've had some horrendous rain here this year, so that gave it a good stress test.:)

A rubber drip skirt could be added to the sliding roof if one had a water ingress problem.

Ron.

Archived