Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question???

johnkirkpatrick

thanks I thought that but was to afraid to say, so at some point a black hole would devour a whole galaxy?, now they say nothing travels faster than light but with a black hole nothing can escape not even light so does that mean a black hole "eats/swallows" matter faster than the speed of light??

thanks I thought that but was to afraid to say, so at some point a black hole would devour a whole galaxy?, now they say nothing travels faster than light but with a black hole nothing can escape not even light so does that mean a black hole "eats/swallows" matter faster than the speed of light??

Black holes are quite well behaved and act, gravitationally, like any other object. They're not like hoovers, sucking everything up, so unless you're heading in their general direction anyway you can carry on rotating around them care free.

Everything rotates due to an effect called "the conservation of angular momentum".

When the gas in a nebula starts to coallesce into more dense areas (i.e. clump together) they start to rotate (rather like the water going down the plughole). So by the time the gas has become dense enough to form a large body like a star, the body is spinning quite quickly as are more clumps of material that form planets etc.

"But why?" you say - well the circular motion is the product of two opposing forces - gravity (pulling in) and radiation (pushing out) from the excited gas - so everything spins.

Like cosmic spinning tops - or something like that.

At least that's the way I understand it. :)

The stars in the galaxy orbit around their common centre of mass (as do the Earth/Sun). They'd do so whether there was a black hole in the middle or not. Only in the very central regions of the galaxy does the BH affect the orbits of the stars. As hunterknox says, black holes are pretty inconsequential gravitationally; unless you're really close to them.

Black holes in the centre of galaxies do seem somehow to be related to galaxy evolution; but exactly how isn't clear yet.

Archived